R871 Hornby Coronation?

Hi all

Could folks please let me know what boxes these came in? I have just bought one and the seller stated it has its plastic inset and lower box, but it probably never came with a plastic upper - rather it would've had a cardboard outer? I am wondering if this is likely and if so, was the outer like a tube?

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

People keep boxes????

I take the loco, or rolling stock, out of the box, at a bare minimum, weather it and toss the box away.

In addition, they usually get a bit of kitbashing done to them before they get to the layout.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Hi Roger

people collect boxes, believe it or not. Locos and rolling stock that are sold as boxed items fetch substantially more than their unboxed counterparts. I store my stuff in the boxes until I can use it all, which won't be for some time as I don't have the space for a layout as yet. This of course has nothing to do with my question

:)))))

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

I normally kitbash the box to match as I have way too many items of rolling stock for my layout!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"mindesign"

The mind boggles. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"mindesign"

The mind boggles. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"Greg Procter"

Greg, you can never have "too many items of rolling stock...."

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Check out the prices that boxed items fetch on Ebay, when compared with unboxed. The price difference is huge. Not just railway items, but any kind of model. Sometimes sellers give more info about the condition of the box than about the actual contents.

John

Reply to
John Rampling

"mindesign" wrote

The seller is correct, the lower box and yellow plastic insert were covered in a plain, thin, brown cardboard sleeve. Some were unmarked (from memory) others were printed on.

I wouldn't regard an item from this era as fully boxed if it didn't have the outer sleeve, and they do survive, I've got an M7 0-4-4T in front of me with just such an arrangement.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

And people even sell reproduction boxes...

Reply to
MartinS

Hot Wheels toys are worth more in _unopened_ boxes. So are Barbies. Etc. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Has anybody thought of displaying all these boxes in an art gallery, such as Tate Modern?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

On 14/10/2005 08:59, John Rampling wrote,

I've started to do this as well, although I tend to make mildly cutting comments about box collectors on my listings! It is true though that a pretty box will make the model price substantially higher than with no box, and if that's what it takes to sell for more, well, I'm not proud!!!

My theory is that when these people open their darkened cupboards, it is only the boxes they see, so they want them to look good :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Thanks all

esp. JT who actually answered the question

:)))))))))

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

The message from Jane Sullivan contains these words:

They don't look very good painted white though!

Reply to
Colin Reeves

Weathering the box might reduce its resale value of course

Reply to
Mike

Not for those who are users and not collectors. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

I'm testing that very theory! So far you are shown to be absolutely right.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Who would want an opened Barbie, or a kitbashed one for that matter?

Reply to
Greg Procter

Er... what was the question again?

Reply to