small storage boxes suggestions please

I could do with knowing a UK source for small boxes to put oddments in, current work in progress parts in , that sort of thing. That would stack, with lids. Currently using tesco pasta trays but stacking sees contents vulnerable as they have no lids. Size wise 3 x 2 inch, 4 x 3, 8 x 4, inches . Steve

Reply to
Steve

There are food storage boxes availabe from your local supermarket. One good brand is called "Tub-its". They have lids and the rectangular ones are stackable.

You could even keep food in 'em if you were desperate! ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Hi , thanks so far, I imagine the tubits are quite large if they take food, my sizes are 3x2inch (75mmx 50mm), 4x3inch (125mm x 75mm), 5x4inch (8 was error) (125x100mm), what sizes are they ? I havent much storage space at all, struggling all the time, so must be economical with mopping up space with 'tubs of air' As said, UK sources please, I imagine Dollar store is USA., though mail order might be poss, 9x6x2 is beyond those sizes though, thanks for the thought. Stackable in that flat topped, no fancy edge lock required, though would be nice :-) Steve

Reply to
Steve

I use the little metal cabinets with clear plastic drawers used for storing screws, nuts, and bolts. I have two. One is 10" W x 9-1/2" H x 6-1/4" D and has 18 equal sized drawers arranged in 6 rows of 3 columns. The other is 12" W x 16-1/2" H x 5" D and has 35 drawers of 3 different sizes arranged in 6 rows of 5 columns, 1 row of 4 columns (4 drawers), and 1 row of 1 column (full width drawer). The drawers don't have lids, but very little dust gets in the drawers. Easier access to the separate containers without unstacking containers to get to the right parts.

Reply to
Willshak

Based on personal experience:-

- Local supermarkets often have small plastic boxes with lids in their kitchenware sections. These come in a variety of shapes and sizes and are usually very strong.

- DIY stores sell sets of plastic drawers and containers as do mail order companies such as "Axminster Tools" and "Squires Model and Craft Tools"

- Extremely strong boxes in a huge range of sizes can be found at . The more popular sizes of these boxes can be found in Office Suppliers and High Street stores such as W H Smith and Staples, often at low prices.

- Finally I use a lot of empty marge and cheese tubs. I like these, they're free ;)

HTH

Reply to
Andrew Hough

The ones I have are 6 inches square by 2 inches high. However, from what I remember, there are smaller sizes.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I find the cheese ones are especially good. Mainly because you get cheese in them! ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Lakeland Limited do boxes, some of which are in their online store

A visit to one of their stores might be useful - I'm sure they have more boxes.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

I just reuse the old model boxes.

Reply to
eyeball

Small fishing tackle boxes...

Reply to
Rufus

Arts & crafts stores sell small plastic boxes & jars for stuff like beads, paints, etc., and larger boxes divided into small compartments.

They also have zip-lock bags as small as 1.75" square, very handy for storing tiny parts.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

I use tupperware-like boxes and small old boxes of "visiting cards"..

"Steve" a écrit dans le message de news: a76Eh.7029$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
Vincent JACQUES

Steve, here in the States there are some little food storage containers put out called "Glad-ware", they have lids. One size they have is 6 1/4L x 4 3/4W x 32 3/4 deep, if the grocery stores there carry anything like that, might try them. There are other sizes. They are not really expensive. If you can't find them, and they will work for you, I'll be glad to get them here and mail to you. Just email me if you want, my email addy is a valid email addy.

Mike

Reply to
Mike G.

oops that should be 2 3/4 deep!........32 inches would be pretty deep!!!! sorry bout that

-- What does it mean when the flag at the Post Office is flying at half-mast? They're hiring.

out called "Glad-ware", they have lids.

there carry anything like that, might try them.

here and mail to you.

Reply to
Mike G.

Well there are certainly a few ideas in this,storage units, (no space for such I'm afraid), cheese, butter, fishing tackle boxes, tupperware, arts stores mini boxes and more.. etc ..lakeland and more....and thanks Mike for the offer. I may be in touch if I draw a blank here, a have a few avenues to follow up now. Something with easy on/off lids and totally see thru to save a load of labelling would be my starting goal. I also may find myself keeping the kit parts in these a long time, the rate at which I vere get a chance to model, so sometimes wonder what some plastics do to other plastics.I have had an electric cable from an unused mini fluorescent cabinet light unit melt its way into an airfix kit.

The main goal is small as space is at a premium.

Cheers Steve

put out called "Glad-ware", they have lids.

stores there carry anything like that, might try them.

them here and mail to you.

Reply to
Steve

Plastic zip-lock bags are safe for model parts. For years I've kept a bunch of small bags in storage drawers which are made of styrene, and there's been no noticeable effect on the drawers. I also have a few model parts in zip-lock bags, with no harm to the parts.

Any box or bottle made of hard plastic should be safe for model parts.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris