[TIP] Plano storage boxes

I've got much of my stuff stored away in various plastic boxes, mostly Plano. I've spent a fair amount of energy trying to find stuff the 'fits just right'. On occasion, I'll post here some of my 'better' findings.

For now...

If you have a set of 38mm hardware, I've found that the Plano 3700 StowAway box is just PERFECT to hold a complete set (except for the

1080NS one, which I don't have anyway). This model has the insertable inserts, so that the length of each row can be subdivided. The size of each row is just about right for a 38mm casing, with or without the closures. There are four rows, and within each row you can fit a) 120NS motor and 480NS casing, b) 720 NS motor, c) 360 NS casing with forward closure and 240NS casing, and d) 600NS motor and compartment for seal disks or extra closures. I've listed the motors vs. casings intentionally, because spacing them this way makes for a 'good fit' in the box, with just enough room that you could put a layer of thin bubble-wrap if you really wanted to.

For storing delays, I've begun using the Plano 3448 container, which is quite small and has 6 dedicated compartments. Each compartment will hold 4 delay elements with spacer ring. I've also generated a small 'Word' file that I print on to double-sided cardstock, then cut, and it has the delay name and what motors it is used for -- so I don't have to go looking up on any charts to find the right delay. The fact that it holds four elements tends to work out well, as the elements come in packs of 3, and if I have a leftover 'M' delay, there's space for at least one more.

If folks find this useful, I'll post more little 'discoveries' as I think of documenting them.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Hmmmmm....curiosity here....are rockets "worm-proof"?

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Plano makes excellent stuff, and their customer service is superb. The enclosures I use for the Surefire and RTLS launch systems are Plano marine storage boxes. Nice bright orange, great padded handle, reinforced hinge, gasketed lid...you can't beat it. I order the boxes

50 at a time. I cut a faceplate to fit down inside the box, build the system with everything attached to the back of the faceplate, glue it down into the box and run a bead of silicone around the edge to make it pretty. Works great, and there's room for all the cables and stuff in the watertight box.

When I got a set of Contrail Rockets 75mm hardware to show off at NYPOWER I ordered a couple of Plano's big rifle cases to transport it; I couldn't let that beautiful anodized hardware roll around in the back of the van. Two days after I ordered, Plano called and said they had had problems with a machine used to make the cases, and they would be delayed. I explained that I was leaving for the launch the next week, so I had a time constraint. They overnighted the cases to me and didn't charge me extra for the shipping.

Go to

and look around. You can call their 800 number and order one of anything you see there. Their prices are reasonable and their service is outstanding.

"What do you get for the man who has everything? Something to put it in!"

Doug Pratt

pratthobbies

For my 5 year old Plano centric comments on range boxen, see

Bob Kaplow

What Doug said! I've used nothing but Plano for my range boxes since I attended NARAM-17 three decades ago! I still have all of them, and every one is still perfectly usable. I just keep outgrowing them!

Several years ago I bought the biggest fishing tackle box Plano had. It's grossly overloaded, and at NARAM (44?) a couple years back, I broke the handle off the top. Contacted them when I got home to see if I could buy a replacement handle for it. They just shipped me one, no charge.

I've got one slight advantagre over Doug. Plano is on the far SW Chicago suburbs. The route I take to ChamBana (or Urbane) and other places to the south to avoid the Chicago traffic takes me 5 miles from their outlet store. That's where I got the tackle box in the first place, for 50% of the cheapest price I'd seen it any where else. And several tool boxes, and a bunch of the clear plastic storage boxes, and just about anything else that wasn't nailed down.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow