Please Help Me Wire A Reversing Switch

Wonder if you chaps can explain to me how to wire this motor to a reversing switch the switch is a south bend one ...

Cant ask in the south bend forums because I will get a load of answers relating to the USA electricity.

Here is the motor ...brooks crompton 550 watt single phase

Here are three pics of the switch

Here is the inside wiring of the motor

And here is ...a diagram of that wiring

Here is a diagram found on the inside of the plate covering that wiring

Can anyone explain simply how it's done without pointing to drum switch wiring diagrams on the net that I don't quite understand

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

Since no ones bothered to answer

Do I undo the yellow and the blue ...........take them to the reversing swich...............

and have another blue and yellow coming back from the reversing swich to the connections I took the blue and yellow off .....

then i just have to figure out what reverses the blue and yellow in the reversing switch .is that right ?

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

Mark, I'm electrically dyslexic so can't really help, but here is some info on dewshurst switches, which may be somewhat simlar:

Inceidentally, I couldn't see your photos as photocbucket said thaey had been moved or deleted.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Hi Mark, Drop me an email off line and I can probably sort it out. I have a similar set-up on my Sabel, but I'm not sure if the wire colours are the same so I don't want to tell you wrongly.

Richard

use airforce at toucansurf dot com for a quick response. Him with the rusty 1024 dials

Reply to
Richard

Yeah, i looked at that dewhurst site earlier on

dont make sense, as letters and numbers are not the same

links probably broken in ouitlook express

try presing on the links in google groups ... they work from there

All the best..mark

Reply to
mark

Hi Richard

Think I've pretty much worked it out, bar the switch

detach blue and yellow wires from original posts

attach them to the two extra non occupied terminal posts in the motor

attached two other wires to the new posts ...

run wires out to the reversing switch .............

run two wires back from the reversing switch to the old terminals the blue and yellow used to be on ..

does that sound right ...

but i don't know how to attach them to the reversing switch .that's all..

and figure out how to make it nice and neat ............................and find multi-cored cable to do it with...... 7 cores...becauses there is only enough room to put one cable into motor.

all the best....markj

Reply to
mark

You posted the query at 16:28 and sent the above at 19:01. I was having my dinner. Now I have actually read my mails, I won't bother to answer either

.
Reply to
Richard Edwards

Mark

That's correct so far - assuming that the two posts on the motor to which you've transferred the Y and B wires, aren't connected to anything else in the motor (like the starter switch). I assume you checked using a suitable "multi-meter" or by physically checking behind them - didn't you ?

As far as the wiring on the reversing switch is concerned, you need to use the aforementioned multi-meter - or, again, physically look at the contacts - to see which ones are connected together when the switch is in the Forward (Fwd) or Reverse (Rev) positions. Those are then the contacts you use for the four wires you've brought out from the motor. You may have to use extra wires in the switch to cross-wire these in order to give the correct "swapping" of the B & Y.

Now, the big question ! Do you have a separate contactor/on-line- starter (C/OLS) to use as Start/Stop for the motor ? The action being. Set the Reversing Switch to the desired rotation and then use the C/OLS to start and stop the motor.

If, alternatively, you are using the drum switch to Start/Stop AND Reverse the motor (as in some Derwhurst set-ups), you'll need to feed the mains L & N via the switch so that the motor is isolated when the switch is Off.

Personally, I'd advise that you seek someone with goof electrical knowledge to assist you. If you live in reasonable distance of Bromley, Kent, I'd be happy to "pop round with my AVO". Otherwise, trying to help with e-mails (PMs off-line) and diagrams is the best I can do and, given your obvious lack of Electrical knowledge and the death or damage potential of 230V 50Hz, I'd be in fear for your safety.

Regards Andy

Reply to
houstonceng

Thank you Andy

I'm too far away .. Prestatyn North Wales .

I'm more concerned about burning the motor out than anything else ...

Don't think Ive had a shock yet ...since i wired my house with rcd's and mcb's ..

They are ultra sensitive ...and trip ...on a whim

Where the motor is situated ...before it gets back to the consumer unit in the house goes through three mcbs and 3 rcds ..!!!

I do realise that the motor could hum in the neutral position ...and recognise that I have to put the main live through this reversing switch ..

The whole lot will be on a no volt release switch with indicator light as suggested .............

Because there is a possibility that i could turn the thing off via the reversing switch ...forget about it, leaving the NVR energised for days ,weeks or months ..all the small amps power accumulating and adding up on my bill.

Talking about bills, metering etc ... If you are with Swalec Swalac are offering this remote meter ( works off radio signal ....off another device on the tailings I think)...that you can carry around your house and monitor electricity consumption ..all for free and no catches.

It's on its way to me now ...

all the best...markj

Reply to
mark

Mark

Oh well. It was a reasonable bet that you'd be at the otgher side of the country, so a personal visit is out of the question.

You definitely should feed the live/neutral mains through the Rev Switch (RSw) - even though you have a No-volt-release (NVR) in circuit. If you don't - a. In the neutral position of the RSw, the motor will not start and will definitely "hum" - probably to the point of burning out. b. Moving the switch into Neutral from Fwd or Rev will not stop the motor and, anyway, if you move from Fwd to Rev (ir visa versa) on a single phase motor without waiting for it to stop, it'll just carry on running in the same direction.

If you do, you should only need 4 wires from the switch to the motor. Live, Neutral Switched mains + the two wires to Y and B wires in the motor. Because, to effect Fwd/Rev, you just have to connect the B & Y wires to L and N for one direction OR N & L for the opposite diection whilst feeding the run windngs in the same polarity for both Fwd and Rev. So you can use 5 wire cable (the above 4 wires + earth) from RSw to Motor and 3 wire mains cable into the RSw from your NVR.

Regards Andy

Reply to
houstonceng