reversing switch

*someone* must supply these without involving me in a 40-mile or more journey.

MEM make 'em among others. looking for an enclosed changeover switch, rated at about 30A 250VAC, must be double pole and ideally with an "off" in the middle.

I can find various such on different websites, but none that appear to want to sell me one direct.

anyone got any idea?

or, anyone living adjacent to an industrial switchgear supplier can get me one and post it, for a suitable contribution to the beer fund?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Don`t know what you want to change over to.Do you want to switch a single phase supply two ways with an off position or do you want to change polarity of a single phase supply possibly for reversing the start windings of a single phase motor. If it`s one of the above and you want to do it manually look at Kraus & Naimer. If it`s neither of the above and you are actually looking for a reversing contactor set with coils to operate the contacts then be prepared to spend money.Or look on Ebay for a reversing contactor pair with 240 volt coils.They are usually cheap enough (on ebay) but you would probably have to supply an enclosure. Mark.

Reply to
mark

On or around 20 Dec 2006 03:58:30 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk" enlightened us thusly:

allow running a single phase motor forwards or backwards. The current motor is the kind that you can reverse by swapping links around on the terminal block and it's wired through a pair of SPDT switches which are pretending to be a DPDT so it can be reversed by switching it rather than crawling around behind the machine. However, that motor is due for replacement soon with a more convincingly powerful one and the current switches won't have enough capacity for the bigger motor.

However, the same general principle will, I assume, work on the motor which is to replace it which will hopefully be more powerful and also have better starting torque. The existing motor is just plain wrong for the machine, not enough starting torque and not enough power.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sounds like a standard Moeller T-series would do the job. I'll look at the RS catalogue and see which ones they carry.

Did I see any current/HP ratings?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

It might be prudent to fit a contactor and overload for protection and wire the reversing switch after the contactor. Mark.

Reply to
mark

On or around 20 Dec 2006 13:14:46 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk" enlightened us thusly:

I've got the contactor to start the motor, and yes it has overload protection. Whether it'll run the bigger motor I plan on getting time will tell :-)

and yes, the current setup runs from the contactor to the reversing switches and thence to the motor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:40:54 +0000, Peter A Forbes enlightened us thusly:

the replacement motor will not be more than 3HP, so running load should be around 10A, but starting current of course is higher. I reckon a 25A or 32A switch will cover it.

The contactor has an adjustable overload between 9A and 14A. If I go for a

2HP motor (which I might, with a high-start-torque one it should be sufficient) then that will cope I reckon. It might not handle starting load on a 3HP one.

If you have an account at RS and can hunt a suitable switch (they seem to tend to be marked I-O-II or such) then I'll be suitably grateful

Reply to
Austin Shackles