SR EMUs

You're correct, of course, John. I was just making a point that until quite recently, UK rtr models were quite crude.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

HO at present but would like some 4mm scale ones in future.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"Steve W" wrote in news:43511538$0$29083$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

But to be fair SR EMUs are little more than glorified trams intended to move the masses, hardly real trains, hardly a real railway. :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

I'm surprised they haven't decided to extend the Mid-Kent line in tunnel under Hayes Common to London Biggin Hill International Airport in readiness for all those passengers that will descend on the place just as soon as the local council relents and lets more flights in. Those class 376 EMUs would be ideal for shifting all the passengers *and* their luggage.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Chris Wilson"

Be afraid, be really afraid! ;-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Jane Sullivan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

Oi you, I chose to live in Biggin Hill *because* there wasn't a railway stn (and there's only one very narrow road to New Addington) ... after all I wouldn't like to live somewhere the oiks found it easy to travel to. :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

This is something I have been working on (slowly, not an area I have a personal interest in), however I think I have identified all the principal types, I'm now trying to sort out where they operated (technical details and better illustrations than I can manage are available elsewhere).

Lists all the multiple unit stock I know of with what little I have on where they operated (lot still to do on that)

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike

"Roger T." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.islandnet.com:

Yeah right ... :-0

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Jane, ssshh! You'll be tipping them off about the top-secret plans for the Biggin Express.

As every telly cop-show viewer knows, Biggin Hill is the favoured departure point from the UK for fleeing crime lords and their suitcases full of ill-gotten gains. The Biggin Express will be planned with all the common sense and attention to detail that brought the CTRL to Victoria, the designated London terminal for continental services for the last 100 years. Er, no, change that to Waterloo, the French will just love it... no, hang on, St Pancras is the obvious entry point to London... Friday night, step off the Eurostar at St. Pancras and proceed to the Euston Road. Five minutes later, lose the will to live. What can we do to cheer up the tourists? I know, bring them in through Stratford, East London. Bit of luck they will think it's Shakespeare' birthplace!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"David Costigan" wrote Yes - 1500v DC overhead, Manchester - Sheffield - Wath (loco hauled only), with (if I remember correctly) some suburban lines in Manchester area on same voltage, Manchester - Altrincham and Manchester - Dinting/Glossop. HTH David Costigan

Appolgies if I missed some sarcasm ! But for those that may not be in the know (Like the non UK) Dinting and Glossop were part of the Manchaster - Sheffield - Wath route aka "The Woodhead" where "Tommy" and "Electra?" come from... Scenic if nothing else. Very modellable as they used normal Mk I coaches and MGRs prior to closure in the 1980's.

Tri-ang did one of the locos unless I'm wrong. Now command a fair price I understand.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Wasn't that the response of the BRB in the 1950's to the suggestion that Britannia Pacifics should be deployed on the GE lines from London to Norwich?

"Our newest express locomotives will be *wasted* on that glorified tramway"

(per the memoirs of Gerald Fiennes)

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

2EPBs were used on the Tyneside 3rd rail before it was diesalised and 508's operate on the mersyside third rail network.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Perhaps you'd prefer a Croydon Tramlink extension......?

Good interchange at East Croydon for the other periphial London Airports.

DC

Reply to
David C

Well Emus are more de-glorified trams, trams have much more charm than most of the emus, and don't get me started on Dmus, nothing but elongated bendy buses.

Reply to
estarriol

David C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

When that happens - as it might, certainly "they2 keep talking about it I'll move. Tramlink from New Adington ... yuck, it'd be like a McDonalds opening at the end of the road.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Steve W" wrote in news:4351750e$0$49793$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net:

There's a railway to Norwich? For heavens sake, one has to ask why?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Actually no, the Railway is from Norwich, rather than to....

Reply to
estarriol

I've never been tempted into a McDonalds, so I couldn't say how it compares to a tram! I suspect the food served on the tram might be rather better.

However, I live on the other end of the Tramlink. From what you say, things must change radically when you enter the Badlands after East Croydon, because at the Wimbledon end we find it to be a rather pleasant, convenient, and efficient mode of transport.

Certainly a great improvement on the old BR service that used to shuttle up and down to West Croydon, that is if the driver could find the token for the single track section.

The only problem we've ever had was when a motorist abandoned a car across the track outside Allders. The trams backed up in a long line until eventually a few burly coppers arrived to bounce the car sideways across the street.

And the scenic roller-coaster section across Mitcham Junction is as good as anything at Blackpool.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

I thought the Railway was from Ipswich, running to Norwich in one direction and London in the other? It certainly looked that the way the last time I was at Ipswich Station.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Andy. You are right, Triand did an EM2/Class 77 Co-Co while Trix did an EM1/Class

76 Bo-Bo. Both would run either off the track or overhead catenary and, if memory serves correct, were reasonably passable models. David Costigan
Reply to
David Costigan