Modify Hornby Duchess Body

Want to convert a new Hornby non-streamlined Duchess to as built condition - most important is to remove smoke deflectors. Has anyone tried this, will I find the correct pipework behind them. if not does anyone supply a suitable conversion etch ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

They come off very easily as they are fitted with small plastic pegs. There is no handrail behind them.

regards

Reply to
Sailor

Thanks for that, what about the casings over the outside steam pipes - are they complete and are steam pipes present ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

yes the original pipes have not changed -- I run mine without them but note that they are not obtainable from Hornby but there are brass etched available in curved or bent (straight); I have never seen a Coronation with what i could describe as curved deflectors and neither can I tell the difference from many photos!

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

Regards

Youve got me confused there, when remove the deflectors then the casings over the outside steam pipes and the outside steam pipes are fully exposed. Does the Hornby Duchess have them complete already ?

Thanks, Simon

Reply to
simon

Sorry if I have confused you. The deflectors are an add-on. When removed they give a profile identical to those built without deflectors.

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

Sorry if I have confused you. The deflectors are an add-on. When removed they give a profile identical to those built without deflectors.

Regards

Excellent thanks. Thats it then, definate project submitted. Duchess of Bucceleuch without deflectors. Now to decide how pedantic and which least effort for best effect with single/double chimney and streamlined/destreamlined tender or rename.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

..

Now, Just to really confuse: My City of Bristol ( the blue loco drive version)does not have handrails on the smokebox; a photo of City of Chester (which is newer) does appear to have rails.Looking at the Hornby catalogue for the latest offering - I cannot tell!

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

You need a copy of LMS Loco profiles No 11 Coronation Pacifics - Hunt et al. Every detail you could wish for except an index. It shows that they should have handrails along the top of the deflectors. Theyre only fixed to deflectors and not to the smokebox. City of Sheffield from last years catalog is correct, and so is my City of Bristol - the blue one you mention. They both have the correct style smoke deflectors (ex-streamlined with sloping smokebox doesnt have defectors extending down to fall plate).

Has someone been at Cirty of Bristol ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon