Hornby Elite and PC control

Anyone else managed to control a DCC point from a pc ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I use an old Arnold/Maerklin CU and computer interface to do that.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

youre controling a dcc point connected to a Hornby Elite using an old Arnold/Maerklin CU ?

Sounds interesting.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

No no no. No need for the Hornby Elite as the Arnold/Ma CU + computer interface does it all. It's cheap as no-one wants the Arnold units any more. Ma and Arnold CUs work the same way for accessory outputs but the Ma CU muddles the loco control speed and direction output.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

He didn't say he was using the Hornby Elite - there are plenty of other DCC systems out there with a PC interface...

Reply to
Ian J.

Are you from the USA ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

No.

Reply to
Ian J.

You could use a SPROG II and PanelPro to control lots of points. When you're not using it to control points you can use it as a decoder programmer.

Andrew Crosland

google

I already have a decoder programmer in addition to the Arnold CU and Ma computer interface and an MRC DCC controller. I don't even know what a SPROG II and Panel Pro are - although I'm sure I don't own either - I'd know, wouldn't I(?)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Can see need to re-phrase the question, expecting anyone to combine the info from the subject line with that in the post is just too much. OK everyone, now stop chewing, walk 3 feet, stop walking and start chewing....

Anyone else managed to control a DCC point from a pc via a Hornby Elite ?

Can use the Elite with Panel Pro - well sort of - but that wasnt the answer either.

None-Elite users need not reply - except Greg of course - he cant help it.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Although it shouldn't really be necessary, it's nearly always a good idea to repeat the content of your subject line in the body of the post as well, just to save any confusion. ;-)

Reply to
Ian J.

Hopefully nothing I wrote was confusing? =8^(

Reply to
Greg Procter

Not you, the original OP. The problem here is that simon was referring to getting points controlled by DCC via a PC connected to a Hornby Elite. However, his original post didn't mention the Elite in the body of the post, only in the subject line. Those of us who replied (myself included) read the body of the post without remembering the subject line, and turned the thread into one relating to general DCC to PC connections, rather than those specific to the Elite.

Reply to
Ian J.

SPROG - small box of electronics which goes between the computer and railway tracks. With the addition of JMRI (below), can be used to setup the parameters in a DCC loco chip, to run a small layout (subject to current drawn) or to drive the turnouts alone. Can be bought from Andrew Crosland, URL above (the designer/maker).

Panel Pro - part of the JMRI toolkit, which is an open-source DCC computer software set (ie. its free). The most commonly used part is Decoder Pro, which is used to setup the characteristics of a DCC chip (having used it, you wonder why anyone would key in CV values via a normal DCC system keypad). Panel Pro is another part of JMRI, and its purpose is to produce layout control panels on your computer to switch turnouts, observe output of train detection, etc..

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Still far too general a question unless you want a simple yes/no answer.

Are you just asking for re-assurance that it's possible?

Otherwise:

Are youo asking for help as you've tried and it doesn't work?

Are you trying to write your own software? If not, which software are you using?

Can you change the points using the Elite itself?

What is the issue with that solution?

Is it as simple as a mismatch in the accessory numbering. I believe some systems assume they start at 0, some assume 1.

What brand of accessory decoder are you using?

Systems vary in the exact command sequence they use for controlling points. I seem to recall there were issues with the MERG accessory system when used with a Lenz DCC system. There may be an issue between the Elite and the accessory decoder you are using.

What kind of point motor (solenoid v. slow motion)?

Andrew

Reply to
google

Ahhh, I own lots of small boxes of electronics.

I own an electronc module to setup decoders - from Loy's Toys, USa.

Interesting - I'll take a look, Thanks.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

I wonder how that lawsuit is going with Kam industries.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

writing own - going to try setting routes.

Yep got that far.

Indeed, use PanelPro address 9 for Elite address 5.

Just standard Peco.

wow thanks for sensible answer....

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

In that case I probably can't help much. Have Hornby published the software interface for the USB port? Can you assume it's the same as the Lenz USB interface and look at the JMRI code used for that?

I've never heard of anythign *so* far out, but does PanelPro address 8 correspond to Elite address 4 or 6? I vaguely recall something about the hornby accessory addressing being backwards in each block of 4, but may have dreamt it.

Andrew

Reply to
google

Web page here:

It's not all good news by the look of things.

Andrew

Reply to
google