Hornby Elite and PC control

Anyone else managed to control a DCC point from a pc ?
Cheers, Simon

simon wrote:

I use an old Arnold/Maerklin CU and computer interface to do that.
Greg.P.

youre controling a dcc point connected to a Hornby Elite using an old Arnold/Maerklin CU ?
Sounds interesting.
Cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

No no no. No need for the Hornby Elite as the Arnold/Ma CU + computer interface does it all. It's cheap as no-one wants the Arnold units any more. Ma and Arnold CUs work the same way for accessory outputs but the Ma CU muddles the loco control speed and direction output.
Greg.P.

He didn't say he was using the Hornby Elite - there are plenty of other DCC systems out there with a PC interface...
--
Ian J.

'Who knows what the tide could bring?'

Are you from the USA ?
Cheers, Simon

No.
--
Ian J.

'Who knows what the tide could bring?'

You could use a SPROG II and PanelPro to control lots of points. When you're not using it to control points you can use it as a decoder programmer.
Andrew Crosland http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@sheerstock.fsnet.co.uk wrote:

I already have a decoder programmer in addition to the Arnold CU and Ma computer interface and an MRC DCC controller. I don't even know what a SPROG II and Panel Pro are - although I'm sure I don't own either - I'd know, wouldn't I(?)
Greg.P.

Can see need to re-phrase the question, expecting anyone to combine the info from the subject line with that in the post is just too much. OK everyone, now stop chewing, walk 3 feet, stop walking and start chewing....
Anyone else managed to control a DCC point from a pc via a Hornby Elite ?
Can use the Elite with Panel Pro - well sort of - but that wasnt the answer either.
None-Elite users need not reply - except Greg of course - he cant help it.
Cheers, Simon

Although it shouldn't really be necessary, it's nearly always a good idea to repeat the content of your subject line in the body of the post as well, just to save any confusion. ;-)
--
Ian J.

'Who knows what the tide could bring?'
"Ian J." wrote:

Hopefully nothing I wrote was confusing? =8^(

Not you, the original OP. The problem here is that simon was referring to getting points controlled by DCC via a PC connected to a Hornby Elite. However, his original post didn't mention the Elite in the body of the post, only in the subject line. Those of us who replied (myself included) read the body of the post without remembering the subject line, and turned the thread into one relating to general DCC to PC connections, rather than those specific to the Elite.
--
Ian J.

'Who knows what the tide could bring?'

Still far too general a question unless you want a simple yes/no answer.
Are you just asking for re-assurance that it's possible?
Otherwise:
Are youo asking for help as you've tried and it doesn't work?
Are you trying to write your own software? If not, which software are you using?
Can you change the points using the Elite itself?

What is the issue with that solution?
Is it as simple as a mismatch in the accessory numbering. I believe some systems assume they start at 0, some assume 1.
What brand of accessory decoder are you using?
Systems vary in the exact command sequence they use for controlling points. I seem to recall there were issues with the MERG accessory system when used with a Lenz DCC system. There may be an issue between the Elite and the accessory decoder you are using.
What kind of point motor (solenoid v. slow motion)?
Andrew

writing own - going to try setting routes.

Yep got that far.

Indeed, use PanelPro address 9 for Elite address 5.

Just standard Peco.

wow thanks for sensible answer....
cheers, Simon

In that case I probably can't help much. Have Hornby published the software interface for the USB port? Can you assume it's the same as the Lenz USB interface and look at the JMRI code used for that?

I've never heard of anythign *so* far out, but does PanelPro address 8 correspond to Elite address 4 or 6? I vaguely recall something about the hornby accessory addressing being backwards in each block of 4, but may have dreamt it.
Andrew

It is the same as one of the Lenz systems - the one whose id ends in F. No knowledge of java but the config files are interesting.

Yes PP address 8 = Elite 4.
Think its to do with the group - ie block of 4 number. Hornby have the first block as address 1 whereas Lenz at address 0 - hence add 4 for each address using PanelPro. Having tried to understand the lenz specification I'm suprised anyone gets any of it correct. Not so much the definition but the explanation. A few hundred examples might help.
Cheers, Simon
Greg Procter wrote:

SPROG - small box of electronics which goes between the computer and railway tracks. With the addition of JMRI (below), can be used to setup the parameters in a DCC loco chip, to run a small layout (subject to current drawn) or to drive the turnouts alone. Can be bought from Andrew Crosland, URL above (the designer/maker).
Panel Pro - part of the JMRI toolkit, which is an open-source DCC computer software set (ie. its free). The most commonly used part is Decoder Pro, which is used to setup the characteristics of a DCC chip (having used it, you wonder why anyone would key in CV values via a normal DCC system keypad). Panel Pro is another part of JMRI, and its purpose is to produce layout control panels on your computer to switch turnouts, observe output of train detection, etc..
- Nigel
--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Nigel Cliffe wrote:

Ahhh, I own lots of small boxes of electronics.

I own an electronc module to setup decoders - from Loy's Toys, USa.

Interesting - I'll take a look, Thanks.
Greg.P. NZ
Nigel Cliffe wrote:

I wonder how that lawsuit is going with Kam industries.
Chris