Hornby Elite DCC - some comments

Reposted from snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Folks,

I just want to bring your attention to a few of the problems we are experiencing with the Hornby Select system and Hornby loco's fitted with their decoders.

Firstly we have been notified of problems with running TCS decoder fitted loco's on a Hornby Select system.

We know the Select will only work with addresses up to 59 but even with lower numbers on the TCS decoders the Select unit will not recognise them.

In addition, we are aware that the Hornby decoders are not recognised by the Gaugemaster system and this system will not read any CV info from the Hornby decoders.

The only conclusion that we have been able to come to so far is that the Hornby Select unit is not NMRA compatible and therefore will only work with their own decoders.

Lastly, please be aware that the Hornby decoders that are due for release soon have a maximum current load of 0.5 amps. Hence we suggest people thoroughly check the current draw of their locomotives before thinking of fitting one of these. We know that many of the Bachmann range and certainly the Heljan products will blow these decoders. Upon release of the Elite Unit we will be asking Hornby for a complete list of the current draw of all their locomotives so that we can make sure we recommend the correct decoder for the correct locomotive. Whether it will be forthcoming or not is another matter.

Please if anybody has any experience with the Select unit I would welcome feedback and comments on the above.

Best Regards, Adrian Hall

Reply to
John Turner

Methinks that's the general idea :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Cynic! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Oh good I'm pleased theyre out - or is this just from sets ! I finally weaseled the cash to order an Elite last week - cant wait.

As a programmer (a person really, but do some programming) but not a DCC expert, I immediately wonder if thats because the decoders should be set for

2 digit addresses and not just be within the 1-59 range ? Or even the other way round and the decoders should be set for 4 digits! What does the NMRA standard say ? Would like to get our facts right before we have a go at hornby.

Simon

Reply to
simon

In message , simon writes

Aren't decoders supposed to be plug-and-play? If these aren't, then it will seriously damage their sales.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"simon" wrote

I for one am not 'having a go' at Hornby, but people on here have asked for information on the new Hornby systems, and as a result I've posted information from elsewhere which I've thought was relevent.

If others have found a problem with the Hornby product (or anyone else's for that matter) then it needs reporting, if only to stimulate sensible debate.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

simon wrote: [...]

Or google on "NMRA DCC".

Reply to
Wolf K

Would be a bit limiting having all your locos responding to commands for address 3 ! Is it what means grin. Depends whats meant by plug n play in this context then.

Simon

Reply to
simon

Yes I was stimulated to ask for some additional info, based on the answers can decide if should suggest Hornby have been naughty or give purchasers the additional info so they can use other decoders with these systems. Theres a big difference between cannot use other decoders - the conclusion reached thus far - and the additional programming step to set the decoder to

2 digits is required.

Simon

Reply to
simon

Care to translate that last bit into English for us Simon? :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

THREE!

(tv joke)

Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

Are you saying that BBC3 is a joke?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Queens, US, pidgeon, estury do be specific !

If variety of commonly purchesed decoders dont work with hornby DCC when set to address below 59 then hornby naughty.

If variety of commonly purchased decoders do work with hornby DCC when set to address below 59 as long as also set to 2 digit addresses then purchasers (and would be ones) can be given extra info.

thats how I understand it...

Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" > wrote

Shouldn't any decoder with an address set to a *higher* number than 59, or

99 in the case of the Lenz Compact, be read as default '3'?

That is certainly the case with the Lenz Compact.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

No, definitely not. If a decoder has a short address of, say, 100 then CV1 should read as 100, regardless of what system you read it on, otherwise the system is not working correctly.

There maybe a caveat for Lenz decoders. Lenz command stations do not allow access to the full range of short addresses (1 - 127). It may be that their decoders also restrict what can be set as a short address in CV1, and default to 3 if you try to set an address higher than 99. In that case there's no problem since CV1 really does contain 3.

I'll have to take yoour word for it, but if it really is the case that the Lenz compact reads 3 from, say, a TCS decoder set to short address

100 then the compact has a bug.

Similarly, if the Hornby unit read 3 from any decoder with a short address greater than 59 then it would not be working correctly. The restriction to 59 is a command station restriction and it would be plain stupid if it applied to their decoders as well.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

The Hornby Elite and Lenz Compact will not read an address as high as 100, and in every case where I've had a visiting loco with an address greater than 99 my Compact reads it as '3' at least on the programming track and allows me then to change to address to one of two digits. That's what I meant to say in the first place, but perhaps didn't say it very clearly.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Tis one of those things every programmer enjoys, how do you tell people that the value is as per default without confusing them and causing problems. the cop out is just refuse to read it. However displaying a value of 3 may make some people think it is set with address 3 - fair does really. May be better to have a special symbol like >99. Still its good it will allow it to be changed.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well played chaps! I just knew that I should not have abandoned my studies of boolian logic, esoteric maths and fourrier analysis , plato and the london underground at first degree level! Now I am condemned never to comprehend how dcc makes my trains run.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

You appear to have ignored Reverse Polish Notation !

Simon

Reply to
simon

Not to mention the "laws of Bistromathics". If you don't get it, read "The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy by Douglas Adams. I think it's explained very well in the first book. ;-) Badger.

Reply to
Badger