Bachmann Jinty DCC Ready

Hi all and merry christmas!

I got a Bachmann Jinty and Hornby select controller for christmas, and am still resolving a few issues.

The Jinty [DCC onboard] behaves erattically and doesn't seem to respond to the controller, sometimes jerky or runs at full speed.

Doesn anyone know of compatibility problems with the two?

I bought a pre-chipped loco (chiped by someone else with a TCS decoder), runs forward and backwards, can change the number, but when I try and change the default direction settings, the loco won't respond to the controller after that.

Other observations include the locos with the hornby chips don't seem to have remember the direction change the next day. The loco with the Bachmann chip [A4 Sir Charles Newton] performs the best, remembering the direction change overnight.

Any Ideas would be welcome, I'm still getting used to DCC, but first sessions are prommising.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

To paraphrase the old Radio Rentals commercial:

Should've got a Lenz Compact!

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

That is as good as giving him a Cadburys Boost which is slightly rippled and a flat underside. In other words, no help at all.

Reply to
Hecate

You are absolutely right. It was a crappy response but I was full of Christmas dinner and alcohol at the time and can only claim these as mitigating circumstances!

Seriously though, from all the reports it does seem that there are many compatibility issues with the Hornby DCC system which may not be resolvable immediately. My advice would be to avoid it completely until Hornby have fully addressed these problems. Proprietary 'non' standards should have no place in DCC.

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

"Robert Flint" wrote

Agreed, we are currently advising our customers to hold fire on buying the Hornby DCC system(s) until there is some useful user feedback on these products in the market place.

Just a pity that Hornby's product information wasn't as good as their marketing!!!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Craig Douglas" wrote

Check that the phosphor-bronze electrical pickups (one to each of the loco driving wheels) are actually touching the backs of the wheel at all extremes of their potential movement. It's not unusual to find two or three of these are not in constant contact with the wheels and that could be part of your problem.

It's a fairly simple job to dismantle the chassis and adjust these, but if you're not happy about doing that then return the loco to your supplier and ask them to do the adjustment for you.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks for the ideas,

The wipers seem ok, I should add that it runs fine under DC, but with the dcc, I cannot set an address or control the locomotive with the controller. It sets of backwards in a stop-start fashion.

I've tried it with a different decoder ( Bachmann 36-552) and the chassis works fine on it's own.

I was trying to establish whether the was any known problems with the bachmann DCC Fitted loco's decoders and the hornby Select controller or whether this one is simply a dud.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

"Craig Douglas" wrote

Anyone's guess I'm afraid, there's so little known about the Hornby DCC system that it's pratically impossible to pass a valid comment.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks anyway for your comments.

On dismantling the Jinties, (both the dcc onboard and a standard dc one) I have to remark on my disapointment that the dc one does not have a dcc socket, whereas the dcc onboard one does, I can see no good reason[other than the obvious] why the standard jinty is not fitted with a dcc socket.

While I'm at it, I'll have a go at Hornby for the lack of a dcc socket in the Silver A4 Quicksilver (from the recent silver jubilee train pack), - though the locomotive was otherwise to the latest spec. Is this typical for trainpack A4's or just these particular limited editions?

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

"Craig Douglas" wrote

The standard Jinty preceded the DCC on-board version, and I assume the DCC socket will be standard on future new 'standard' versions.

Can't comment, but I assume it's an economy measure to allow them to offer some 'value incentive' on the train packs.

John.

Reply to
John Turner