3F Jinty - Bachmann or Hornby

I'm looking for a OO 'jinty' to shunt the yard in the small layout I'm building. It seems I have the choice of rtr locos from Bachmann and Hornby. As I
haven't purchased a new loco since I was a kid in the 70s I don't know much about the quality of modern models. Does anyone have anything to say about these models as far as running and reliability is concerned?
- Flann
"Flann O'Toole" wrote

As an unbiased seller of both I'd score them 'out of ten' as follows:-
Bachmann 8 Hornby 4
and I also have a Bachmann version on my layout.
The Bachmann 'Jinty' would score higher but for a tendency for them not to have all pick-ups touching the wheels, and also an indifferent chimney.
John.

I know it looks nicer and has lots of detail in the right place but on a non dcc layout is the Bachmann gearing suitable for a shunter ? I have both but am biased cos the Bachmann one was of the poorly constructed first batch. Also I dont have that good a memory for detail. So for a shunter I like the hornby one.
Simon
"simon" wrote

My layout's DCC so I can't comment seriously as to DC performance, but I would say the loco is absolutely superb with a Lenz Mini Gold decoder in situ, and is almost as good for shunting as my (latest version) Hornby 08 which is Lenz HO Gold equipped.
I have to say I half dismantled the chassis on my Jinty to adjust the wiper pick-ups, but once they were sorted I had no problems with running qualities at all even at the slowest speeds, and mine incidentally is also from the first batch. After these adjustments it ran on my DC test track without any problems prior to me fitting a decoder.
John.

So be warned 'almost as good for shunting with DCC'. Yep I started with the pickups, then untangled sand pipes followed by adjust back to back, filed wheels and chassis. Finally wedged motor in place. Trainee assemble on a friday afternoon ? Not bad a runner now though.
Simon
"simon" wrote

You twist my words sir!
I was comparing the Bachmann Jinty with the Hornby 08 - not the Hornby Jinty, and the two Hornby produce are as chalk and cheese.
I would NOT consider the Hornby Jinty as a suitable shunter, and most certainly nowhere near as competent as the Bachmann model.
John.

Whoops, sorry John. Must get my glasses fixed.
Simon

However me and someone in MRJ recently say the Bachmann one isnt suitable for use as a shunter under DC. I know whos opinion I would go for.
Simon
"simon" wrote

You're perfectly entitled to adopt whoever's opinion you choose, all I can tell you is that *my* DCC-chipped Jinty is perfectly suitable for shunting, and that's all that I've claimed from the outset.
If someone in MRJ is claiming that the Hornby model is better for shunting, then I assume they are talking from personal experience. As a retailer of 20+ years standing, and one that tests virtually every loco he sells, all I can say is that someone must have been extremely lucky with their Hornby 'Jinty'.
John.

Nope they never said the hornby one was better for shunting. Dont think they made any comparison. Me and they agree the Bachmann one isnt. OK perhaps i should be more specific. In the magazine, from memory, it was said the bachmann jintys slow speed was too fast. Which I interpret to say its fine as a local but not as a shunter - with DC. Interestingly the article was about replacing the Bachmann jinty chassis with a kit built one (IIRC).
May i thank you for being allowed my opinion - despite my being a relative newcomer to modelling. Having re-read the thread dont think I twisted your words, may be accused of laying more emphasis than you wanted. Probably didnt suggest you consider the Hornby model suitable for shunting either. Its still me alone that says consider the 'recent' hornby model for shunting. But then I still like the latest Hornby Patriot. Used Hornby Flexitrack. Will be buying Hornby Elite DCC. Frequently pay full price for new Hornby locos from a TOY shop. Like GEM kits. etc etc. Consider modelling potentially an art form. Play trains. etc etc.
Simon
"simon" wrote

speed was too fast. Which I interpret to say its fine as a local but not as a shunter - with DC.
We seem obessed with ultra-slow-speed shunting, but that doesn't reflect my recollection of the way it happened in reality. The crew of shunting locos were often paid by results, and shunting was usually quite a rapid affair, with quick acceleration and hard braking with buffers banging together and wagons being shunted on the fly.

Again that's your perogative, but the valve gear is grossly over-scale and the tender far too wide.
I'd love a model of un-named 45517 but the Hornby model is so long in the tooth and doesn't have the quality of detail of more recent releases, that I wouldn't consider it.

I'd wait until it's been tried and tested and any problems ironed out. There are real well-proven alternatives on the market so why commit to something which is not yet released let alone proven?
John.

I read a comment about that recently on this or another forum and thought an excellent point. However if the lowest speed offered is 7mph and acceleration is 0-7 in 1 second is this reasonable ?
Dont forget you and others with lots of experience and time behind you have got lots of things working nicely so can go with the finer details. If youve just started then your track may be dodgy, wagons not wieghted, not using a good controller, basic couplings on a tight loop etc. Wham goes your shunter and wagons zoom round the bend and off the rails along with patience and enthusiasm. it took me 18 months to lay some decent track, during which time it went up and down like a yoyo as every mistake was made and learned from. But playing with 'wrong' things was a fun learning experience.

Yep, but i still like it.

Will be doing as Santa will be delivering it. Its the price/features ratio that i like. Especially as includes a computer interface already. However the final desicisn will follow a last minute review, just that Hornby system looks the best for me so far.
You didnt comment on Gem kits, woouldnt mind an opinion.
Simon
"simon" wrote

They were adequate in the 1970s, but no idea whether they've been updated since.
John.

Thanks, anyone else ? Simon
Might be best to start this new GEM question in a new thread.
Craig

simon wrote:

If unhappy with the mechanics of either, there is always the build a new chassis option.
High Level Kits have such a thing, with choice of gearboxes to suit everyone from "dead slow" through to "moderately quick". Its the same construction methods as their superb loco kits and, as such it works wonderfully. However, not cheap in time, and about 50 in money.
www.highlevelkits.co.uk
- Nigel
--
Nigel Cliffe,