Hornby DCC with SOUND!!!!?????

I am a bunch of my mates are wondering when Hornby and Bachmann etc. are going to release products that sport DCC chips and sound???? Any
announcements either way from these guys?
Steve
"mindesign"

Is it worth the wait? Sound on or around layouts might be interesting, but I've not been too impressed with the onboard sound outputs I've heard on DCC locos, and 0 gauge at that. Small speakers in small enclosures (loco bodies) make for a strangled distant sound that doesn't add too much to the realism of the layout. If the sound could be collected off the rails and fed into a decent set of speakers under the layout, we might be getting somewhere. As it is, the only advantage that the DCC chips offer is more sophisticated and synchronised "chuff" compared with the gruesome white noise generators. It's still toytown stuff that doesn't produce the ancillary sound of freight wagons clunking and banging. As soon play those wonderful old Transacord records through a ghettoblaster and fantasise a bit! A smoke machine that can give off the pem of proper coal would be no bad thing either... (if modelling modern traction, a few hours at the lineside with a minidisc recorder ought to provide as much sound as you need, surely?)
Tony Clarke
"Tony Clarke" wrote

You've obviously not heard the class 37 'Bont y Berno' which Nick Gurney had on his Dyserth Road layout at Wakefield Show last November. It sounded good enough to me, but the problem is that one loco with sound makes the result seem relatively uninteresting.
On the other hand how would a layout (especially a loco shed type operation) sound if all locos were so equipped, bearing in mind the tenedency in the past not to switch locos off, but to leave them idling for hours on end?
I think the jury is still out on this one!
John.
"John Turner" wrote

that should read 'makes the rest seem ......................'
John.
"John Turner"

And a whole layout with 10 to 20 sound equipped locos all running at the same time, quite possible on North American layouts, sounds like bedlam.
-- Cheers Roger T.

I have almost completed an 8ft x 2 ft EWS based diesel depot, the only reason for doing so was I have discovered the South west Digital sound chips. At present i have three class 37 with sound and two class 66. They are absalutly superb and totally bring to life the layout as nothing i have have ever seen before. The only thing missing is the sound of buffer clash, but even that can and is going to be programed into the chips. Sound all the way for me now, particually with UK diesels, non sound locos seem toylike now. As for Steam, I have not heard any UK sound chipped locos but I have a USA Broadway "A" class which again is superb, totally alive with sound and its just as much fun listening to it sitting in a sidding hissing, puffing, and blowing away as it is to hear it working a 50+ box car train round our club layout. Both this and the UK diesels are actuall recordings all sinked in correctly, the quality is superb and personally, if the Hornby class 60 came sound equiped to the SW.Digital standard I would happily pay 170-200 per loco. Who ever heard of a quiet railway in 12inch / foot!

Tony Clarke wrote:

It all depends. I heard Digitraxx sound on On3 (O scale, 3ft narrow gauge) D&RGW locos in 2003, and I was muchly impressed. The sound was just right from normal viewing distances of about 2ft (or about 100ft scale.) It also echoed off the "rock" walls in the cuts...
But then, the owner had turned the sound _down_. At max volume, it sounds terrible - the small amps distort it, and the small speakers can't handle it. Speakers were located in the tenders properly baffled, ie, enclosed in an airtight box. Any speaker has weak bass if not properly baffled, and the effect is worse the smaller the speaker.
OTOH, if you want the earth-shaking rumble of a Big Boy chomping up a grade with 100 cars in tow, get an under-layout surround sound system capable of 50+ watts per channel. Then crank 'er up. You'll annoy the neighbours, guaranteed! You might even shake some loose bricks off your walls... :-)

I'm reminded of a friend ,many years sgo, who decided that one of the Argo recordings of steam engines struggling asthmatically uphill was the perfect accompaniment to an operating session on the layout in his garden shed. I suspect the record may have stuck without us noticing, but the next-door neighbour did. Cue knock on door.. 'Do you want to borrow my Black and Decker saw, Les- sounds like you're struggling a bit' Brian
On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:46:35 +0100, "Tony Clarke"

I've heard a 00 Class 66 with sound effects from http://www.southwestdigital.co.uk/ which is quite impressive. I reckon it could get very annoying at a show though.
A snag is that it "restarts" if it loses power from the wrong sort of crud on the track.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Why? Railways aren't quiet so sound is realism, besides which they are fairlyeasy to turn the volumes down which is something you will probably see operators doing once, like myself they have more than one sound loco running. The problem with the "shows" and loco sound is we are just not used to the idea and many people, particularly the older ones don't like change! Dont mention DCC vs DC! Personally I find Shows noisy events anyway, silly old fools barking on about "that train would never pull those coaches in real life etc" instead of getting on and enjoying peoples efforts, however good or bad one perceives them are far more annoying sounds to me!

Simple cure, if you loose contact and it (66) tries to re-start just know the sound off and re-start, it then starts up instantly and moves off, then you just knock the sound back on and your away "yingying yining" without the 30 second "sound" start up.
I am still bemused as to where South west Digital think I am going to mount a speaker in the Hornby 08/9 though!

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:33:25 GMT, "Piemanlager"

So is a gang of lowlife smashing up the station and chucking bricks at the trains!
Shows can be quite noisy as it is. I've been near layouts with recordings of sheep, which can get wearing after a while. Though I'm sure it will settle down once the novelty wears off.
besides which they are

I gave up worrying about what most of the old gits think, when one was mocking me for claiming to have an interest in trains despite not knowing some obscure point about West Country tenders. He also couldn't believe I was so stupid as to think Stagecoach operated trains...
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

I have one of those near me. In the whole of Atlanta there are 3 BR modelers. All SR. and yet I get told that 2 of my West Countries would never run in the same area or some rivet counting expression. Who cares, sad old man, I'm having fun, Rob
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:55:17 -0400, "Rob Kemp"

Having fun is definitely not allowed!
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Shows can be quite noisy as it is. I've been near layouts with recordings of sheep, which can get wearing after a while.
I remember exhibiting at either the Belper or Elizabethan exhibition one year and being very near to continental layout that had working crossing barriers. Boy were they annoying with the siren going every 20 seconds as that express tanked over it !
OMWB - one class 24 waiting for a sound chip (Still to be bought) and 4 PGA wagons to be converted.
--
Andy Sollis
CVMRD

This is indeed a problem. A couple of years ago I was at a show that had one layout with sound - well, either it was sound-equipped or there was a loco with a severe gear-meshing problem but in regular operation nonetheless. Since I was manning a bookstall nearby all day I couldn't move readily out of range. Late in the afternoon I investigated this by now teeth-grating shrilling more closely, and discovered that the layout was a H0 lumber railroad with a "realistic" soundchip in the sawmill. Sometimes you realise why people don't want to live in industrial areas...
Who's going to devise a sensor mechanism reading from the wheels, that triggers a DCC flag so that you only get flange squeal on curves, and prototypically worsening with decreasing radius at that? Just a thought.
Tony Clarke

Why don't American steam locomotive drivers ("engineers") shut off steam before applying the brakes?
--
Jane
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html

Rumour is that until the RRP can be justified at less than 100 (i.e. 99) Bachmann aren't interested.
Regarding JT's post and Nick Gurney's 37, come and listen to SIX [*]of Nick (and John Humphries) 37's and hopefully at least one 66 at the Blackburn Ex in October. Details at www.belmrs.co.uk
[*] I think JH said he was bringing six................. Note - they'll not be there on the Friday night.
Cheers, Mick

Nick
Ex
not
Eureka models are including QSI sound in their NSW Garratt for less than $90 AU extra. http://eureka.m.bigpondhosting.com /
--
Terry Flynn

http://angelfire.com/clone/rail/index.html

Which presently converts to about GBP38. In perspective, this would push the RRP of a class 50 to about GBP128, and I would guess the sale price would be about 10-15 pounds cheaper depending on where you get it from. You certainly couldn't offer it as a standard, but as an option would be worth considering, especially given the sound works in DC as well, and given the price of a normal decoder is about GBP20 and a seperate sound equipped one upward of GBP110 with British sounds encoded.
Actually this is especially interesting in view of the claim that the high prices charged for sound equipped decoders are necessary to recover the costs of recording the sound. Yet I wouldn't imagine recording train sounds in Australia would be so much different as to justify the wide variance in cost, as well as the fact that the population of Australia is a third of the UK, and therefore presumably the size of the model market. (Actually I would argue that the UK model market proportionally would be slightly higher given a perception I get that people in the UK are more passionate about trains that people in Oz, as well as the significant market for UK trains outside the UK. My understanding is that Oz is Hornby's second or third largest market outside the UK for British models not including those bought by Australians from UK shops, I doubt the reverse applies!)

Well, I would buy that NSW Garratt if I didn't have to import it personally.