DCC sound + Lenz Compact

I have been considering buying either a US or European model with a DCC sound decoder already fitted, just so that I can 'have a play'.
Will I be able to fully operate one with a Lenz compact, which I believe only gives me access to F0-F4?
ROB

Rob, from memory when I was playing with Loksound decoders a year or so ago it is possible with CV programming to map functions to other function keys - so this may be the only way to hear some of the effect sounds if they default to F5 upward.
This was very easy with the Loksound PC decoder programmer and software but probably a bit more complicated with just the Compact buttons and the decoder manual!
If you want just to have a play then I suggest you avoid Broadway Limited, I have heard reports that programming is intermitant with some systems, (there is an adapter you can buy to make programming easier/possible just for BL locos!) plus a US model would have a reduced re-sell market over say a Roco european-outline loco should you decide to stop playing... :o)
If you really just want to play why not get a Loksound decoder for ?105 from http://www.modellbahnen-licht.de/english generic steam or similar and plug it into any loco with a socket. Last time I bought them they came with a small speaker....dunno now, gone off sound. One was alright but when you had more it just gave me a headache and I ended up switching them all off anyway....
Drop me a line offline if you want to chat more. Remove the piggy bits from the email...
~Fil
<ammendment...> Loksound decoder for 105 euros from http://www.modellbahnen-licht.de/english