Hornby DCC

I see that Hornby have come back into the digital age. Does anyone know if their DCC kit is NMRA compatible? If so its price is very competitive.

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" wrote

It's also totally untried & tested right now, in fact last week our Hornby rep told me they still hadn't finalised the design of the planned loco decoders. They would be total idiots if it wasn't NMRA compatible, but we are talking about Hornby so who knows.

I'm told the DCC products should be available in September (October at the latest) and that the basic command centre will only be supplied with a 1 amp transformer, whilst the more sophisticated version will have one rated at 4 amps.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hornby have advised that it will be NMRA and XPressnet compatible.

Graham Plowman

Reply to
gppsoftware

Didn't they get the Arnold/Rivarossi DCC setup with their Lima/Rivarossi/Arnold/Jouef/Pocher buyout?

Reply to
Greg Procter

Why would a leading manufacturer like Hornby produce something *not* DCC compatible? From a business point of view it would suicidal to do something different these days. Almost on a par with a new manufacturer selecting 4.5mm to 1 foot scale on say 20mm track gauge ;-) Or 30 volt track power. Or anything else weird.

Whether everyone likes it or not DCC is here to stay.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

"Greg Procter" wrote

No idea Greg, but it's possible that the Arnold/Rivarossi DCC set up was only produced under licence from whoever developed it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Kevin Martin" wrote

Because they think they are infalliable?

They've even tried to take eBay on with an on-line auction, which I understand is barely successful.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They certainly missed a trick with the live steam locos.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

And where in DCC standards would such a large power consuming device such as is required to boil water be allowed?

No the live steam is a gimmick & should be regarded as such. What else can you descibe something that basically goes round in circles. OK the live steam locos have been highly successful, but they have never been intended to work head to head with the regular 12V sisters.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

"Kevin Martin" wrote

There are 8amp decoders available, although they are quite large. What amperage do the live steamers require? Lenz do a 1.8amp decoder which could easily be accomodated in a live steam A4.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

6A at between 10 & 17V according to the Hornby live steam forum
Reply to
airsmoothed

You obviously haven't read the standards, then.

The DCC standards do not specify the maximum power that may be consumed, only the method of delivery, i.e., waveform and voltage levels.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Whilst I appreciate this is a sweeping generalisation I would suspect that live steam & DCC are at opposite ends of Hornby's potential market 'spectrum' anyway - I suppose the live steam appears to the model engineering in miniature crowd; whilst DCC presumably appeals more to the 'tech savvy' interweb friendly end of the market. IMHO of course.

Reply to
airsmoothed

There's no reason for the heating current to come via a DCC decoder. It could be drawn directly from the pickups with a simple relay control to switch the heater on and off. The DCC side would only need to handle the throttle servo, reverser, whistle etc.

Reply to
Matthew Sylvester

Hmmm, the initial Arnold DCC setup was the Lenz/Maerklin system - every Ma component fits except the CU. OTOH Ma sold the Arnold CU as their Hamo DCC system. When Ma went to Motorola, Arnold brought out a new DCC system which didn't seem to match others but might have been a rebranded Lenz product. The Rivarossi product looked to be an updated Arnold - ok, we're probably back to Lenz.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I think you'll find that DCC appeals equally well to the technically incompetent. Finally a simple way of running two or more trains on their trainset without having to become an electronics expert.

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Harding

So, how long before the majority train sets that are sold in the shops come with a DCC chipped loco and a DCC controller?

-- Rod

Reply to
Benny

"Benny" wrote

Within two years in my estimation.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Bachmann already sell two sets of complete DCC systems. One with 2 loco's and the other with a class 25 diesel.they are very limited but okay for a youngster. they also say they are going to 'expand' their control boxes but don't hold your breath.

Reply to
Chris

No idea, don't you sell them? The current must be quite high. How many watts do you need to boil very small amounts of water in a reasonable timescale? Even 200w at 20 Volts requires a 10Amp supply. I would not like to attempt to control other models with DCC, if another unit was suddenly without warning cut in with a 10Amp drain on the supply.

I think that Hornby have wisely keep the live steamers as an entirely separate system.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin