Bachmann vs Hornby

Assuming that these were the only two makes available, which would be the brand of choice? scoot

Reply to
scoot

64Magnette

Bachmann. But that opinion may change over the next year or so, as Hornby does seem to be trying to upgrade its offerings.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

The one that produced the model I wanted.

If they had the same model, the cheapest, unless the differences in running quality were really apparent.

I'm not too bothered about exact prototypical fidelity as I want to run my trains not look at them under a microscope. It would have to be more than a slightly odd curve in the roof or a misplaced rivet to make me buy on appearance.

Andrew

Reply to
google

"scoot" wrote

In my case it's something like a 80/20 split in favour of Bachmann - mainly because I like small diesels and small steam locos and Hornby hardly produce any quality models of either.

Hornby-wise I prefer their 08 diesel shunter to the Bachmann model, but apart from that I've only got a couple of Hornby's diesel units (both ex-Lima) in classes 101 & 121.

Too many of Hornby's recent models are susceptible to handling damage - parts are often too flimsy and easily break or fall off.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

My recent acquisitions have included Hornby Castle , West Country, County and Grange. All of these exhibit better traction than Bachmann but as John noted the motion gear is frail. Others like the 51XX class are equally smooth as Bachmann but with better traction. The 2-6-4 Tank locos (Fowler & Fairchild) are about equal . My Bachmann Jubilees/ Patriot/Scot are smooth and effective. The Bachmann Manor, Hall and

43xx's are all too light but reasonable when ballasted. The 45xx's and both Pannier Tank versions are superb as are the Ivatt Cl2 Tanks. Hope this helps. Regards
Reply to
Sailor

Bachmann.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I would say Bachmann for their more recent releases. A lot of the older split frame locos with plastic axles suffer from splitting of those axles over time.

Colin

Reply to
antrobus

Same for me. as I model lms with some early BR and a strong liking of pacifics that means 80:20 towards Hornby. Have found the hornby distribution and customer support setup to be superior to that of bachmann, but am testing out a different supplier next year.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

This year I haven't bought any Bachmann locos and doubt very much I will buy anything next year. So this year it is Hornby 3 Bachmann 0.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

What about Silver Fox? I bought a 10000 last year and the Lima-based engine was really really terribly noisy, so I had to re-engine it.

And how about Heljan? I've ordered a Falcon, but nothing arrived as yet - I don't know if my order was actually accepted on their website.

Reply to
Peter Tomlin

The feeling i get from reading the replies to my post is that there isnt a lot of difference in quality between the two manufacturers, and people are choosing one or the other by the models available. Am I right in assuming this? John mentioned the fragile bits on Hornby that fall off - is this a problem across the board? Which is the more robust? scoot

Reply to
scoot

All of the "new" generation Hornby models suffer frailty of motion gear and do not like it being handled. Bachmann is definitely more robust but about half the tender locos suffer lack of adhesion. Only the rebuilt Scots / Patriots have models in both camps and would provide a good comparison.

To be fair, I have yet to buy a new RTR of either marque without having to adjust or modify it to run normally.

Regards

Peter A Montarlot

Reply to
Peter Abraham

I've yet to see a steam engine from Hornby that looked anything like I might have seen in real life in terms of paint finish or loco-tender distance. Also while Hornby is still struggling with the concept of ready fitted DCC, Bachmann has already moved onto digital sound.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Peter Abraham" wrote

Not quite true Peter; both camps also have classes 08, 20, 25, 37, 47, 55 &

66 diesels, along with Jinty 0-6-0T and 9F 2-10-0 steamers, but it would be unfair to compare any apart from the 08, as all others from one manufacturer (or the other) is an old model.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Very true John, the Diesels exist -- I never liked them in real life and get no pleasure from them in my mini railway world. But as you say, there is no comparison because the similar models are in some cases decades apart. You could have added the LMR 2-6-4T range as both are current but otherwise direct competition is largely absent. Hornby have at least 4 different chassis types in production against Bachmanns 2.

On the whole, I am pleased with both manufacturers products if not the prices.(RRP)

Regards

Peter A Montarlot

Reply to
Peter Abraham

And Bachmann of course aren't exactly at the fore front of didgital sound.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

By UK standards they are. Most new models have a 21-pin socket to accept the sound decoders developed in association with South West Digital Ltd.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

By world standards both Hornby and Bachmann are still in the 20th century and I certainly don't think that Bachmann deserve any medals.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

"Zen83237" wrote

The numbers queueing up to purchase Bachmann sound-equipped diesels might suggest otherwise, but I accept their sound chips are hardly state-of-the-art compared with some of the stuff being produced (at a price) for the USA market. It's a pit they will not work on analogue systems, but I guess that might come eventually.

At least they're way ahead of Hornby in this application, but who knows what

2008 will bring from the Margate warehouse?

John.

Reply to
John Turner