Bachmann vs Hornby

Highly unlikely. The mass production model market is going digital, and the transformation being seen is similar to that from Clockwork to Electric, or three-rail to two rail. Those who stay with analogue won't get the new bells and whistles on their RTR models (literally in this case).

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Why not?

A $25 dongle gives analogue control for (DCC) sound decoders available in the US market. There's very little extra decoder firmware effort involved in detecting a control signal overlaid on analogue power (Ultimately that's all DCC is!).

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I carefully put the phrase "RTR" in my reply. I don't think the RTR market will support analogue directly.

Aftermarket, there may be various devices which make DCC sound systems work.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

So this is the wonderful company that just two years ago when I asked the question at a Bachmann dcc demo why they dony prefit chips said "why should we". In other words they had no interest in supplying prefitted dcc.How the mighty have changed their attitude now. They have stolen a very slight advance on Hornby and anybody would think that they were world leaders in dcc technology. I have yet to actually see a sound chipped Bachmann loco for sale but on the otherhand I bought my first sound chipped BLI about 4 years ago.

I think that you hit the nail on the head, the numbers queuing up to purchase sound equipped locos. I fear a lack of supply and a queue is all that it will be.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

That's not entirely true - one big US firm offers their sound equipped (DCC) models for DC operation. The process is simple enough; make a DCC function encoder (CU) that imposes the DCC function commands over analogue traction current. You can have your bells and whistles with analogue control.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Personally am totally anti sound decoders, wont be able to hear self going chuff, chuff....

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Personally I prefer to be one of the "Wooley Mammoth" type modellers. Micro chip technology both ran my life and at the same time made me obsolete! I have found that the DCC fitted RTR's which I have purchased are not good performers on my preferred Analogue DC system and I have de - chipped them with excellent results. The technology for sound effects with my system is simple -- they call it : Tape Recorder.

What will the rivet counters want next? People walking up and down the platform? ( I did have such a thing in 1944 but it was a tinplate model of Buckminster Abbey with two Guardsmen marching up and down , no doubt it could be modernised (electrified) with sound effects.

Regards

Peter A Montarlot

Home of Hands On Model Railways.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Give it a year or two, and you'll be able to put your own sounds onto the chips.

The average modeller's sound effects after a few beers will be heard on every exhibition layout !

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Can be done already.

You don't need a sound chip for that....

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

complete experience.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"Zen83237" wrote

Any sensible manufacturer attempts to respond to market demands, and that's all Bachmann have done.

I'm still not convinced that pre-fitted decoders is the way forward, preferring myself to fit high quality chips which give superior control and functionality. If I have to buy a loco already fitted with a chip, the chances are it will not meet my requirements and so will have to be replaced. This inevitably increases the cost of the model.

Personally I much prefer the 'DCC-ready' option, but others will disagree.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote

You already can!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If they can make it easy to fit without breaking the detail I would agree.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

l.

Both manufacturers have the problem that the chassis units are to maximum size to gain sufficient adhesion. I assume that they are cast from aluminium based alloy in order to be magnetically neutral. If a ferrous casting was used and space found for all the little gizmos then the motors would also have to become live field and subsequently much larger. Also the induced stray fields could have some strange effects on the chips - I am very surprised that this is not already a problem from sparking etc. As the chips will always have to handle real current through real wires there is little scope for size reduction. Any affordable alternatives will lead to imbedded systems which are "throwaway" repair type and be inflexible in terms of DC/DCC. My solution would be to remove control systems to the tender or side tanks and split the ballast between the chassis and body components. A beefed up connector plug/skt would ensure good electrical continuity. I reckon that all requirements could be met that way.

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham

My point was that it can be difficult to dismantle a loco to install a decoder with out damaging the detail of the locos.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

To be fair, I am amazed at the tolerance to mishandling the main body parts have. The "add on" bits like vacuum pipes and screw couplers really are only for show and prove to be rather inconvenient in normal use. If you dismantle a loco using a foam support cradle (easily made with a Stanley knife) there is no real need to damage anything. Some of the electrical lash-ups encountered to date do not , however , demonstrate a very high level of excellence on the manufacturers' part.

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham