Early Bachmann Jinty

Hi All, I have just treated myself to one of the early Bachmann Jinty models that does not come with a DCC chip in.

What chip have others used ? I was thinking along the lines of a Lenz Silver Mini ? But the extra functions are wasted on something that will only go backwards and forwards. Is there anything as good, small enough that doesn't have all the functions ?

Reply to
Andy Sollis

"Andy Sollis" wrote

Hi Andy,

I used a Mini-Gold, but only because the Mini-Silver was not available when I chipped mine, and I would use the latter today.

I wanted top quality running quality and I think the Mini-Gold has provided that, and I've no problem with the unused functions. My Jinty runs far better at slow speed on DCC than it did on analogue.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If you can hang on till Xmas I should be able to report on the hornby jinty with Hornby DCC system and a ...... chip.

Dives under bed with fingers in ears .... Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Something fishy about that chip.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Andy,

DCC is out of my league, but the esteemed John Turner did supply me with one of the first batch of Bachmann Jinties.

The chimney was abominably mis-shaped, as were all of that batch. If the problem affects your model I can recommend the turned brass Jinty chimney available from Markits - it transforms the appearance of the model.

Regards, John Isherwood.

Reply to
cctransuk

Thanks John. I may be in touch with you over these new "Pullman" transfers your doing for this 6 car set.... take it they will fit an old Tri-ang one too ?

Reply to
Andy Sollis

Will certainly take some complex programming !

What am really looking forward to is using a chipped motor to drive pit head gear - note thats scratch built including wheels. Wheels spinning away, controlled slow down as cage appears. Pause then off it goes again. Stage 2 gates open, truck down ramp to be emptied ....

Simon

Reply to
simon

Andy,

The transfers are primarily intended for the unbuilt Kitmaster Midland Pullman rake which I've finally treated myself to via E-bay and rather a lot of cash; (only 45 years after I drooled over the kits in my local model shop)!

However, the transfers are equally suitable for any model of the Blue Pullmans.

Regards, John.

Andy Sollis wrote:

Reply to
cctransuk

Thanks John

Andy

"cctransuk"

Reply to
Andy Sollis

Did any of the previous posters here remove all of the electrics inside the loco ? and just direct wire, or were any components left in situe ?

I now (thanks to JT at 53a Models) have the Lenz Mini Silver, which I thought would just plug in when looking at the diagram inside the box, only to find, upon removing the body that what I thought was a 8 pin socket was infact a circuit board like the 08 loco ?

Reply to
Andy Sollis