Bachmann and Digital

Hi all, So far as a DCC user, I have been very satisfied with what I have achieved, and the Class 25 is one of my favourite. They are fitted with Lenz

1024 chips and crawl silently. (Which makes me wonder about the one referred to in the "Bachmann 25 'sound effects' thread as to there being something wrong or the wrong chip installed)

However, it was rather alarming on looking at the Bachmann website for something else to come across the below statement :

"Please note that the Bachmann Service Department will not repair or service any items that are fitted with a DCC decoder.

We will not be responsible for any loss or damage to any DCC items sent into us, and they are likely to be returned to the sender with no action having been taken."

Does this by any chance also cover their own factory fitted chips?

I understand why they are saying this (they will not know what the locos address is, or be able to test properly if you have an inertia\brake setting activated, or even if the DC setting is off.... I was just wondering how we go on with the factory fitted, or if they are exempt?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Andy Sollis wrote:-

I'm pretty certain the disclaimer was to the effect that Bachmann was under no obligation to repair locos which have been modified by the end user, ie: the installation of a DCC chip. Bachmann's own modification is covered by the Sale of Goods Act which takes precedence over any disclaimer provided it has been used in accordance with the instructions.

As mentioned in the other thread Bachmann have fitted their equivalent of the Lenz LE1000 which apparently sucks as opposed to the LE 1025 which would have cost them twice as much.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Stick the loco on a programming track and read it? If you had to guess, the number printed on the side would be a good start.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

Mark Thornton wrote:-

The default address for "all" (sic) Bachmann-fitted locos is 3 except for the freelance 0-4-0 chuffers which are 1 & 2. The E-Z Commander does allow the numbers to be reset but not much else.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote

They must supply good which are of saleable quality so cannot exclude these.

Irrelevent. All you do if there's a problem is to remove the DCC decoder, reinstall the blanking plug and they won't even know whether it's ever been DCC fitted. However, it would be dead easy for them to test for loco address, and indeed the other decoder settings.

It all sounds a bit churlish, when they are effectively advocating people to use DCC by selling their own controller and decoders.

I suspect any exclusion of DCC fitted items from their warranty would not stand up in a court of law.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Phil: The STANDARD default address for a dcc decoder is '3' whatever the manufacturer. Obviously, when included in a set, and with another loco, it is sensible to preset them to something else, so that there os no problem when a 3rd loco is added.

The requirement for the dcc decoder to be removed is from wording which predates their entry into dcc-selling. As such, they did not supply or install the module, and therefore have no responsibility for it. It may be incorrectlty installed, and it may be expensive!. (eg sound)

By requiring such iser-fitted units to be removed before returning the loco for service ensures that a/ you have tested the loco without a decoder - ie you have eliminated that as the problem.

b/ if they chose to simply supply an exchange unit, they wouldn't have to worry about removing an existing decoder, and possibly refitting it into the replacement - why should they!

c/ There is no debate over whether it was a working / non working decoder causing the problem.

The AIM of the EZ Commanderr is to make use just as simple as you describe. If you want to do more, thenm there will be ADD ONS (at extra cost) OR you can buy another, more advanced controller, at EXTRA COST - keeping the EZ commander simply for your servicing area 8-)

Reply to
Phil

Phil wrote:-

The instructions are rather vague about what the E-Z Commander can and cannot do. For example it says that performance parameters can be adjusted but not how. There is a mysterious phono lead included in the box with no clues as to what it is for. The instruction sheet makes reference to an add-on DC control unit and even gives the part number but gives no clues as to where it can be obtained. I've checked with on-line dealers and Bachmann catalogue but none of them list it.

Not that I'm complaining. For around UKP100 I've obtained a two-tone green diesel I always promised myself, a test track to replace one that is totally worn out and a control unit which can be used for both analogue and DCC. As a bonus I've learned how to wire a cheap DCC chip for use as a realistic sound effects module for an AC electric locomotive although it might not be so loud when used with a ringfield motor :o)

To add to my joy Antics have just opened the first shop in Coventry to sell all the major model railway brands pus Lenz electronics so I no longer have to rely on mail order for my supplies. Mind you my ex-wife and bank manager have stationed snipers on the roof opposite with strict instructions to shoot me if I go anywhere near the place.

(kim)

Reply to
kim