Bachmann Digital

Is is possible to use a Hornby C7024 4amp transformer to power a Bachman EZ
digital controller? The reason being the price of a 5 amp bachman
transformer compared to the 4 amp C7024. If it is possible then will the
Hornby controller just plug in or do I need an electronics degree ?
Reply to
mutt
The voltage input for the EZ controller is 16 v ac. The Horby c7024 outputs 15-16 v ac. This is enough to power the hornby select digital controller. I would assume this would be okon the Bachman as well.. The question still remains as to whether the input socket on the bachman controller is the same as the Hornby select. Anyone got both controllers to have a quick look .
Reply to
mutt
I think you're confusing transformers and controllers. They are _not_ the same thing. A transformer merely changes the voltage of a power source (in this case, it drops the voltage). A controller varies the current available to the engine (or other device.) So which is the C7024: a pure transformer, or a controller? If the latter, I would advise against using it as a power source for the Bachmann EZ digital. IMO it's never worth it to try to save a few pounds on power sources and controllers. If you keep the 7024, use it to power house lights and street lamps and such.
That being said, if the C7024 provides about 18V uncontrolled AC, then it will work as a _power source_ for the Bachmann EZ controller. You will probably have to change the wire ends (terminals, plugs) to connect it to the EX controller. NB that at 4 amps output, the Hornby may not provide enough current to power as many locomotives at the same time as you would like. Since the EZ controller is designed to demand up to 5 amps, you could burn out the Hornby transformer.
If the C7024 is a controller, it will also provide variable DC current to the track. Do not under any circumstances connect those terminals to the Bachmann EZ controller. Do not try to control the digital controller via the Hornby C7024.
HTH
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir
Maybe. But later in his post he refers to: to a "cxontroller."
[...] the Hornby controller[...]
So I'm not suer what he thinks he's talking about, really.
Anyhow, if the C7024 produces around 18V AC, it will function well enough as a power source.
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Site Timeline