which DCC?

My GF wants to get me a 'starter digital train set' for xmas, and from that we'll built a proper model layout, we're in germany for the next

9 days, and have seen some fairly decent priced sets.

but there seem to be a couple of different standards out there for this DCC lark, the main bit being either DC or AC as the power on the tracks,

Would the AC system make it any easier with the laying of points? i.e. if i wanted to put in a triangle junction, would i still need to have isolated/switching points to enable a train to turn around on the tirangle? i know with DC you do, otherwise you have a short circuit, but would the AC system get round that?

Not too fussed about keeping to any particular standard, we're only going to have maybe 5 or 6 loco's, and i'll either get them from Germany with the relevent decoder chip in them, or put the chip in them my self,

Reply to
gazz

You probably mean DCC, FMZ and the Marklin system, they all use a kind of AC (alternating voltage but not in sine wave and with varying cycle lengths to transmit information).

You have the same problem with both so will need insulaters but DCC will do the switching for you look out for reverse looping systems and associated accessories.

Probably best to pick an NRMA DCC compliant system for the wide variety of equipment e.g. sound decoders if you feel the urge amongst other things.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You've run into the Maerklin problem. Maerklin uses a 3-conductor system (centre rail/studs are hot, running rails are earth). They also use AC as propulsion current (about 16V IIRC). However, the international standard for 16.5mm gauge (HO/OO) is two rail current collection and 12V DC. Maerklin locomotives or wagons will _not_ work on standard two-rail

16.5mm gauge track, nor will two-rail HO/OO locomotives work on Maerklin track. Standard HO/OO wagons will work on Maerklin track, however, as they have insulated wheelsets. BTW, there are no standard couplers for European and British model trains. This means that if you mix brands you will usually have to replace couplers. (In N. America, the knuckle coupler has become the de facto standard.)

For both systems, DCC is an add-on, and in that sense only are there AC and DC digital control systems. But all DCC systems work the same way: they use an AC propulsion current which is controlled by the decoder. On DC systems, the decoder also rectifies the current.

There is also a signal current at a higher frequency which carries the control signals (digital packets, exactly as in a computer) that determine the decoder's operation(s). Most recent standard DCC locomotives have decoders that automatically detect whether the loco is running on a DC system, and switch off most of the decoder's functions so that the locomotive will respond to a standard DC controller.

The international standard for DCC is "NMRA compliant". Maerklin's system is not fully NMRA compliant. Almost all other manufacturers of DCC make DCC compliant systems and parts.

There are a few manufacturers who make Maerklin-compatible locomotives as well as standard two-rail DC ones. However, the "Maerklin system" limits your choices compared to the international standard.

My advice is to: a) decide what prototype ("outline") you want to model - British? German? French? American? Etc? b) buy a set that accords with your decision, keeping in mind the range of available additional rolling stock. c) have fun.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

There is a defacto standard for British models and lot of European and British stock feature NEM coupler pockets that allow your choice of coupler.

On DC systems the decoder converts DC to PWM which is why some decoders do not work well with high end DC controllers that use this technique to control trains.

The traction voltage is a function of signal voltage which is why the DCC standard is more robust than previous systems. So if there is traction voltage there is DCC signal. To operate DC locos on DCC you might have heard of packet streching which translates to making traction voltage/DCC signal appear more like DC for those locos.

I have not come across a decoder that will not run on DC or that you can't set up for functions to be disabled for DC operation.

I think you mean Marklin with an accent over the a they do make 2 rail as well 3 rail stud contact trains. Good advice on the end I would add that you probably need to do a bit more research based on our debate here and try to see a system being demonstrated, you might even be able to try it out. In the UK MacKay models in Scotland do such a service, bound to be others around the world.

Chris

Reply to
Chris
[...]

Yes, that's the Trix brand, as has been mentioned already. They make some very, very good N. American models, too. Their version of the Pennsylvania RR GG-1 electric loco is the best I've ever seen. Pricey, though.

Maerklin == Marklin with the two li'l dots over the a. Placing an e after the vowel is a standard respelling of Umlauts. Trust me. :-)

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir