Anyone here got the bachmann digital starter set?

Got my 5 yr old the Bachmann digital starter set (30-040) for Christmas following some advice from this group - a *great* success, he loves it :)

One thing that seems "wrong" to me is that it seems impossible to actually stop the locos. Turning the control knob completely anticlockwise results in the trains appearing to stop but actually they are still creeping incredibly slowly (the noise is more obvious than the movement!). While the slow running capability impresses me this does make wiring the layout to all be live a little tricky :-)

So, I'm wondering if anyone on here has the set and has had the same experience? I'll probably pop into East Kent models in whitstable where I picked up the set to see what they say but I'm not sure of their DCC experience (I know they sell the stuff but I don't know if they have any test gear setup etc).

I'm guessing this could be fixed if I could reprogram the decoder - anyone know if this is possible with the cheap'n'nasty (I presume) decoders that are built in? I can't do it myself as the EZ controller can only program addresses (limited) and direction of travel.

Also, as this happens to both locos is it possible that it is a dodgy controller and not the engines (so reprogramming the decoders maybe disguising a problem with the controller?)

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

I have the Digital Freight Starter Set with Class 25 diesel. It doesn't suffer from the problem you mention. In fact I have to turn the dial up quite a way before the loco will move at all. The buzzing as you mention is distracting at all but the highest speeds when it is drowned by the noise of the mechanism. Haven't actually run it since last December when I first tested it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

That controller is just FAB for little 'uns, my four year old has no problem.

I have noticed similar, but not looked that closely yet...

When I get a chance I'll try to have a closer look.

P.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

My diagnosis would be a faulty controller,since you indicate that both locos do the same thing. Possibly the knob is not fitted correctly,so that when fully acw the contoller is still at level 1,rather than zero. Take it back to the shop and try another one.

Neil.

Reply to
mumbles

Actually a mate of mine has managed to fry about three or four of them. Now I would have thought that seeing as they are aimed at kids who are not yet well versed in the delights of ohms law they would be short circuit proof on an indefinite basis.

Now he (and I am for that matter) is/am an Electrical engineer, and he had quite a spat with Bachmann about the design of the unit, so much so in fact that he actually managed to get to talk to the guy who designed it who denied all responsibilty and it must be he who to stuffing them.

The solution my mate found was to build that Power amplifier design from the MERG society who are actually really useful in a number of areas. Used to be a member myself until about a year ago.

Anyway, my thruppenny bitsworth.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Considering how long Bachmann's E-Z Command has been available in the US you would think they would have ironed out all the glitches before the system was ever launched in this country?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Actually I have a similar problem with the controller using non digital locos. It is fine with digital, but when controlling a non-digital I lose all control - you can turn the knob down but little happens for quite a while - eventually the train slows and stops but there is definately no "immediate" control. I also managed to "fry" my original one - I think something shorted across the tracks and then I get a puff of smoke and burning smell from the controller - luckily the local dealer replaced without question, but you do wonder whether the quality and robustness is there. It has certainly put me off going fully digital with Bachmann kit.

Reply to
Middleagedcrisis

Indeed. He is better at remembering what train is what number than I am :)

Hit the number of the train you want, one button for forward, one for reverse and then turn the knob. Simple.

If only we could get the bloody things to sit still in the sidings ;-)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Ok, I'm suspecting a duff controller that isn't quite going to zero. Out of interest, how robust is the Class 25? I notice that hattons have it unboxed for 41 quid (or similar) and my Son is keen to spend some of his Xmas cash on a diesel - I'm reluctant to go with the hornby 08 as a) it's still limited by pickups so will stall on points etc if not careful and b) recent reports of Hornby DCC kit is a bit so-so.

I'd rather wait and see what happens with the hornby stuff - so the Bachmann

25 is tempting (other option is to find a cheapish second hand DC model and then chip it - something I can't be bothered with at the mo!)

Is the 25 an "ok" buy for 45 quid all in? I'm not really looking for accuracy more robustness :)

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Starting again from scratch, I'd buy the loco separate and chip it myself. If it's robustemnss you want, I'd go for one the old Hornby diesels.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Well, I took the dodgy controller back to East Kent models today and they weren't all that helpful. The guy I spoke to seemed to not know much about digital and at first said "yeah, it'll do that with digital". Second guy admitted that sounded wrong but they say they'll have to ship it back to Bachmann for repair which could take anything from a few days to several weeks or more! Bugger.

Not exactly their fault I know - I guess I was hoping they'd offer to swap it out (no reason they should though :-()

In an attempt to avoid tears about not having his Xmas pressy for weeks we took it home again for a bit (together with a small station halt - Jeez thats some expensive plastic!)

I'll take it back in in the new year. Might try giving Bachmann a ring first to see what they say. As you say, I'm not convinced on Bachmann at the mo!

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

"dmc" wrote

If you'd bought the set from me I'd have swapped the controller without question, and would have sent the faulty one back to Bachmann telling them what I'd done, and asking for either a new replacement controller or a credit.

It would probably have been sorted by Bachmann within 7-10 days of them receiving the faulty item.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Heh. That's what I get for supporting the local shop eh? :-)

Oh well, I'll see what happens when I take it in in a week or two. The guy who originally sold it to me appeared to know a lot more about digital stuff and was much more helpful (yes, I know he was selling :)). He wasn't there yesterday so I'll hopefully find him.

That's a more reasonable timeframe than "several weeks"...

Cheers,

Darren

BTW: how would I buy from you? You have a website? (Via email to avoid newsgroup advertising is fine) Just for future purchases... :-)

Reply to
dmc

That is pretty much my experience with any local shop. Recently I was told by one shop they wouldn't match the price on their own website (which included free delivery) even though I was saving them the cost of packing and delivering the item to me!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I didn't think that there was much wrong with the old Hornby 25 (R253), mine has never been a problem and it gets quite a bit of hammer at exhibitions. Got mine for £29 second-hand.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

"dmc" wrote

I've responded off-group as requested.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Something like that would be great. I'd want to chip it though - any idea how easy it would be to fit a basic decoder (I'm thinking 10 quid bachmann or hornby type here - nothing exotic)

Mind you, hattons have the cl 25 ready chipped from bachmann for 41 ish os by the time I've bought a cheap decoder and the loco I may as well get a new one I suppose. Even if bits break off :-)

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc