Win a Hornby Train set

www.modeltrains4u.co.uk

In message ,

writes

Just as a matter of interest, why would I want one of those?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

To sell it on ebay ?

CHeers, Simon

Reply to
simon

In message , simon writes

Nah. I'm too busy/lazy.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Free DCC controller?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

If you want to attract people to your website I suggest you fix the damn thing first, as pointed out in another thread. None of the links on the left hand side work in IE which, despite it faults, is used by a good number of people on the planet.

Is your lottery licensed?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Which version of IE are you trying - it works fine on 6 and 7 here. I was just testing some problems with my own sites so I dropped in to see while I had them running - normally I'm on SeaMonkey - which was fine

Reply to
Lester Caine

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said the following on 17/09/2007 13:05:

It works fine in IE7 (as well as Firefox 2). What is off-putting is that the links don't do anything to indicate that they're links - a little mouseover function wouldn't go amiss! This may also be a clue as to why some people are having problems with the site.

Hmmm :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Hmmm. It works now in IE7. It certainly didn't this morning but I have closed and restarted IE since then. Maybe I was looking at a cached copy.

Actually I don't know. My experience is with PTAs and the like where there are very strict rules, but tickets are bought.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Strange - it works ok with my Ye Olde Ancient Browser (very limited javascript - I use it as I've found that in most cases if I can't view a site with it it's not worth viewing) - but it is painfully slow loading even on broadband - god help anyone on dial-up!).

Does it have to be if its free and no purchase required (genine question)?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

A free draw is not covered by the various laws relating to lotteries and gambling. The key to this is that entry must actually be free, and not conditional on any purchase (hence the "no purchase necessary" wording usually found on prize draws operated for the purpose of promoting a product).

If tickets for the draw are being sold, then that does make it subject to gambling laws and hence there are rules which must be followed. But a paid-for prize draw (such as a raffle or tombola) still doesn't need a licence provided that certain conditions are met.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

The sad news is that under the new Gambling Act a purchase +can+ be required. But the new wording is that the price of the product must not have been increased for the draw. This from the Gambling Commissioner .

Reply to
Dickie mint

There's also an exemption where an "element of skill" is involved, hence the idiot quizzes on ITV.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

If skill is involved then it's not a lottery at all, in law, and hence is covered by an entirely different set of regulations. However, the law has recently been tightened to stipulate that the level of skill required must be "substantial" - that is, it must be hard enough for a significant people either to be deterred from entering in the first place or to get the answers wrong if they do.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

So no change on the ITV quizzes then ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Here in the colonies the law states that to be a lottery it must have "prize, chance, and consideration". Absent one or more of the three and it is not a lottery.

Reply to
video guy

In uk.rec.models.rail, on 16 Sep 2007, Jane Sullivan announced:

Hi everyone,

The lottery aside (Particularly as I'm in Australia, I doubt I can enter anyway), I just wanted to ask about your reaction to the prize they are offering, as it's the exact thing I'm thinking of buying.

I am looking to start my first model railway, I wanted to model Brittish steam and have a bit of passenger and a bit of goods, and from my reading, it seems digital is the way to go, particularly for a new setup where there are no existing loco's to convert. The Hornby GWR Western Pullman DCC set is the one I have been considering buying, both because the period / rolling stock looks interesting and it seemed to me to be a reasonable starter set, so I'd be quite interested to hear others opinions of why this is or is not a good place to start.

Regards

Quentin.

Reply to
OgO