Online Retailers

Hello All

Does anyone have any recomendation from the following list of retailers? Are there any to avoid at all costs?

Any advice gratefully received.

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

Always had outstanding service from Hattons whether it was an order for a very big or a very small item. Cannot fault them in any way.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Matt F said the following on 27/10/2007 01:31:

I don't buy much RTR, but when I've bought from Hattons the service has always been really good. The only allow you to buy what they actually have, which is a bonus! I've never used the others, so can't comment on them.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I have found Hattons to be a reliable online retailer, and they also list their items with the amount of stock they have, which is useful (as do Rails of Sheffield).

So, I would add to the list:

I find The Signal Box web site a little less advanced than the others (no stock count), but I happen to know the shop and can recommend them for quality of service.

Reply to
Ian J.

Thanks guys, looks like Hattons is the favourite.

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

Not to me it isnt. Will never, ever, ever go near them again.

Signalbox - a favourite and first choice, Rails are fine, the others i've never used.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Model Trains 4U

Used them 2 or 3 times.

Customer Service 9/10 Polite and friendly

Value for money 8/10 20% off SRP ( Free p & p for orders over =A340 )

Post & Packaging 9/10 All items, including 'unboxed' items, well packaged & protected

Product Range 7/10 Willing to get items not stocked

Product Knowledge 5/10 Internet shop only I understand

Special Offers 8/10 They have "Offer of the Day", "MT4U Specials", "Half Price" and "Special Offers"

If anyone asks for RTR products I always direct them to Model Trains

4U ( they even have a 'free-phone' number 0800 0431174 )
Reply to
Dragon Heart

In message , simon writes

Sounds like there's a story there, do tell Simon. I've used Hattons many, many times over the years and had nothing but first class service. They're also very courteous, helpful and knowledgeable people to chat to on the phone to should you have any problems. I like the fact their website (one of the best set up model shop sites on the net IMHO) actually has photos and a little 'Bio' of all the staff so you actually know who you're speaking to. Rails is equally excellent, however they can be a tad recalcitrant on the phone at times.

Reply to
James Christie

In message , Dragon Heart writes

What's their kit-building service like?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Michael

Reply to
fanny

"Ian J." wrote in news:13i60thmg4jm315 @corp.supernews.com:

I've never used any of those mentioned by teh OP but I've found Rails to provide an exceptional level of service (ebay, website, email and phone) and of course there's our own John Turner who has a site that looks lioke it's been designed to put people of buying mail order from him but of course provides exceptional service via phone/email.

And of course you can always go here and read the reviews ...

Chris Wilson

Modeltrains4U are based in Peterborough and like most of the good suppliers have a real and genuine interest in the hobby. They supply UK and Continental from all the main manufacturers. They also use to fit DCC if you asked nicely, or at least they use to before I started installing my own in 'N'. I don't know if they do scales other than Z, N or OO/HO tho'. I've also bought some items from Hattons, very good service, and some not on your list; Rails of Sheffield, and Southampton Model Railway Centre, but these were for OO before Modeltrains4U opened up. I still occasionally buy stuff on-line, mainly used from e-bay, or stuff I can't get from the locally, but I try my very best to support the local shop if they will match the magazine prices plus delviery for new stuff, (they do most times). There used to be a very good shop in Peterborough, on Lincoln Road, with all those odds and ends you need very occasionally, but sadly they closed. It's only when they go that you realise the value of the local shop, hence my revised approach to on-line purchases. Happy modelling

Reply to
64Magnette

Modeltrains4u are in York !

Trains4U are in Peterborough !

Reply to
Dragon Heart

In message , Dragon Heart writes

Are they? The address they gave me was in Blackpool.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

The website says York.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

It might be disconcerting to travel to an address in Blackpool and find oneself in York!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" writes

Sorry. I'm confusing them with RailwayModels4U.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

But not as disconcerting as finding oneself in Blackpool instead of York!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I think York is a wonderful place. The wife & I spend many a long weekend walking around the City. Our last visit in March with our son was a great success as we visited the NRM, we could have left him there all week.

Reply to
Dragon Heart