Replacement Mainline/Bachmann 4-6-0 LMS chassis

Can anyone tell me if there are significant differences between the Mainline/Bachmann Parallel Boiler Scot chassis and the Taper Boiler
Scot/Jubilee/Patriot chassis? I have a sick Mainline Royal Scot and I've noticed that Bachmann Parallel Boiler Scot replacement chassis are still available, but not the Taper Boiler Scot/Jubilee/Patriot chassis...
I would also be interested to know if anyone has run one of these Bachmann chassis round first radius curves without disastrous consequences. There's no room for gentle curves on my constricted layout :)
Gerald H wrote:

What's a "first radius curve?" I've noticed that different manufacturers use this nomenclature, but they all label different radii as "1st, 2nd, etc" radius. So, whose "first radius" are you referring to? And what exactly is the radius (in inches or mm)?
As a general rule, six-coupled Bachmann locos have little if any trouble with 18" radius (but prefer 22" or larger), but will usually not behave well on anything smaller. So you'd have to test your loco with a smaller radius.
HTH
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:31:22 -0500, Wolf Kirchmeir

From the Peco web site, on the "products" page scroll down to OO/HO GAUGE,
A little further down you will find (cut'n'pasted witout permission)
CURVED UNITS, Wooden sleepers, Code 100 nickel silver rail No.1 Radius Standard Curve, 371mm radius No.1 Radius Doub]e Curve, 371mm radius No.1 Radius Half Curve, 371mm radius No.2 Radius Standard Curve, 438mm radius No.2 Radius Double Curve, 438mm radius No.2 Radius Half Curve, 438mm radius No.3 Radius Standard Curve, 505mm radius No.3 Radius Double Curve, 505mm radius No.4 Radius Standard Curve, 572mm radius Special Curve (for use with Y turnout ST:247) 851mm rad

Christopher A.Lee wrote:

OK, if OP uses Peco tracks, I would recommend 2nd radius curves for his Royal Scot. But I wouldn't be surprised if it ran around the 1st radius curves. And look bloody awkward doing so. ;-)
I note that the 2nd radius is what we here in N. America consider minimum radius (train-set) curves.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 20:18:52 -0500, Wolf Kirchmeir

Yes. Back when I still lived in England I used to model OO using Peco streamline initially before switching to 3' radius SMP Scaleway point kits because big engines and carriages looked silly on the tight curves. That's also when I stopped going round and round, and switched to (almost) straight end-to-end with smaller engines and trains, going back in time as well.
Until I went to O gauge but that's another story.
"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote

First radius in OO-scale is consistent within the UK at 371mm radius.
John.
John Turner wrote:

Thanks, I may be able to remember that. New data don't stick as well as they used to. ;-)
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:46:13 GMT, Gerald H

I have fitted the Bachmann parallel boiler scot chassis to all of my Patriot, Jubilee and rebuilt Scot bodies. They have been a great success. There is a plastic cross strut at the rear of the chassis which needs to be removed ( it is pretty evident).
Regards
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:39:01 +0100, Peter Abraham

I should have added that all of these will pass comfortably around Peco small radius points and like you I sometimes have to use tight turns.
Regards