Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-0

Hi guys & gals.

The LMS version of the Bachmann Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 arrived in stock today, and very nice it is too.

Reply to
John Turner

Bugger, I thaught the BR ones were coming the same time? Any sign of BR versions John?

Simon

Reply to
Piemanlarger

"Piemanlarger" wrote

Yes, I thought that too, at least that's what we were told.

This morning our rep suggested that only 700 of the BR version had arrived and so they were being held back until sufficient stock is received to fulfil all trade orders. This is expected to be around the end of November.

Worth waiting for though, it looks to be a stunning model on first inspection.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

Got to see (and handle) one in BR livery on the Bachmann stand at Hull Show last weekend. Got to say I was well impressed. Seems to capture the

*atmosphere* of the prototype pretty well. Might be an interesting challenge fitting a DCC decoder, but it will happen!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Surely it come with a DCC socket?

Peter

John Turner wrote:

Reply to
Peter Swindon

"Peter Swindon" wrote

Oh yes, but that doesn't mean there's somewhere to fit a decoder. For example, I had to resort to using an N-gauge chip in the Bachmann Crab, and the DCC socket had to be removed to provide enough space to to accomodate a small PCB into which I hard wired the decoder.

The Ivatt doesn't appear to be any bigger in the appropriate areas, but I'll not comment further until I've tried fitting one - which won't be until the BR liveried version appears.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hmm, I remember that phrase being use in relation to late '70's Hornby and early Lima models, I hope you are not implying that there are 'issues' with the this model?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Ah but they were lying then, this one really does capture the feel of one of the 'Mucky Ducks', although the LMS version looks really odd with the double chimney.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

The first 50 of the class had the double chimney which made them look very clumsy - after the single chimney was fitted they just looked clumsy.

Known as Flying Pigs, Warthogs, or Clodhoppers - and in some quarters as Doodlebugs, they were incapable of pulling the skin of a rice pudding until the draughting was sorted out in BR days.

Now the important question: when will the N-gauge version be out?

Reply to
David Jackson

"David Jackson" wrote

The double chimneys were fairly quickly removed and when fitted with the standard single chimney they looked very smart and very modern - almost American like. I remember them well as a kid, and speaking to railwaymen who worked them, it seems they were very well regarded.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

IIRC all were single chimney by 1953 (I can't find a reference for that, or for the date when all had had the draughting sorted) and were by then able to tackle some of the heavier jobs. I'd never heard them called Flying Pigs until the SVR's loco came to Chester - I watched it doing most of the work up Gresford bank on the return trip, and it certainly sounded well.

The trouble is that when they were in regular main-line action, my age group were only interested in "namers", and anything else was ignored (a bit like Sheds today), so I have few memories of the 43XXX in action, although one was always used on the 07.45 pasenger working to Ellesmere Port and usually had to wait time in the station a hundred yards or so from my bedroom window - which brings me to the point I made before: when will we see the N-gauge version?

Reply to
David Jackson

There's an excellent write-up in the current British Railway Modeller. I was salivating (as I seem to go for anything with L, M and S in) over it, and the historical details are covered well in the article.

Hmmm... now, any got any tips on how to persuade my 3 (and a bit) year old to buy me one for Christmas ?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Cornish

I saw a bR version today, early crest. Superb model, the best Steam loco from Bachman yet? It will be when I have weathered it!!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

"Piemanlarger" wrote

I still think the Standard 5 is a real belter, but the Ivatt certainly scores highly. I'll know better when I've got a BR liveried version to compare with drawings & photos.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Is there any news on Bachmann producing the similar BR Standard 4 2-6-0?

Reply to
Gerald H

"Gerald H" wrote

None, although I heard a whisper recently that an Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 'Mickey Mouse' *might* be on the cards for next year.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So, we'll expect that in 2008, shall we? ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

Cynic! ;-)