Sorry All, Post should have read, What is your favourite MODEL locomotive? and why?

My apologies to all who replied to my previous question, and whilst being very interested in the answers I really meant "Which is your favourite model locomotive and why"?

I realise that it was the way that I phrased the question that led to the question being taken in the wrong way, but as this is a model rail newsgroup I was a bit surprised at the number of replies that were peoples preferences of the prototype.

Regards, Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

Answer: STILL the Gresley V2 Green Arrow!

I have a Certified Limited Edition Model of it by Bachmann / Branch Line, in a wooden display box.

While it does, in my opinion, 'feel' a bit cheap, having a light, plastic body, it does look good! Perhaps I have been spoilt by owning two old 'OO' engines with heavy metal-cast bodies.

There are only 1000 world-wide, so it is something to treasure for future generations.

David.

Reply to
David French

favourite model

I would suspect the answers will be much the same!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I realise that it was the way that I phrased the question that led to the question being taken in the wrong way, but as this is a model rail newsgroup I was a bit surprised at the number of replies that were peoples preferences of the prototype.

Regards, Eddie.

Reply to
Victoria Ford

":::Jerry::::" wrote in news:437fa4c2$1$24534$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

Oh I don't know. I first went for a Rebuilt Hughes 4-6-0, now we're on about actual models I have to say I'm quite partial to the Bachmann Class

  1. To my mind the prototype is one of the few of those diesel thingies that has any real character. I know that the Bachmann rendition has a few clumsy errors but it nevertheless appears - at least to me to have captured the essence of the real thing. I've got two - both "all green" (no warning panels) and both with headcode disks ... together in terms of running qualities they are the best RTR I've ever come across.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Still the Std class 4mt at the top of my list.

2nd, a cast model of no.246 Morayshire 3rd, a repainted and detailed lima deltic "Crepello", the real thing I was once given a chance to drive! Badger.
Reply to
Badger

"Edward Bray" wrote

Bachmann Standard Class 5 4-6-0 - simply because it just looks so very right. I might reconsider when I've had the chance to examine a BR liveried version of the new Ivatt 4MT.

Others I rate highly:-

Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T Bachmann Standard 2-6-4T Bachmann Crab 2-6-0 Bachmann Jinty 0-6-0T Bachmann K3 2-6-0 Bachmann WD 2-8-0 Hornby 08 0-6-0 diesel Hornby A3 4-6-2 (just spoilt for me by the loco to tender coupling) same comment applies to their latest A4 model.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Current favourites:

New Hornby 08 Heljan 35 Bachmann 66

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Bachamnn class 37/4!!

Why? its alive with one of the superb South west Digital sound Chips. Any model running now with no sound does not seem right.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

In message , Edward Bray writes

My answer changes, in that I have two favourites at the moment:

Bachmann 56XX/66XX class: these small locos have great pulling power; they will pull 45 wagons up the 1 in 78 incline on my layout.

Life-Like Proto 2000 USRA light 2-8-8-2 with DCC and sound. This has

24-wheel pickup (16 on the loco and 8 on the tender) and 16-wheel drive. It is a wonderful loco for testing: things have to be _really_ dirty for it not to pick up current; running light it will start on speed setting 1 and crawl along the level or downhill at 2 m.p.h. or so. (As an aside, I got it to pull 100 UK wagons around the layout with no problems; see my web pages for the pictures.) However, the best thing when using it for testing the layout is the sound, which gives you an audible indication of whether electricity is getting through to the loco. Running it around the layout will immediately tell me if I need to inspect/replace my wiring (usually the bonding across the joints or the droppers to the bus), whereas other locos such as the 56XX will stop and you don't know whether it's dirty track/wheels or faulty connections.
Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Well, at the moment it's probably the Hornby Class 50, I just think they were great locos in real life, and Hornby's model captured them very well, especially in Revised Standard livery. However, once Heljan get round to making Class 33/1s (the push pull ones) then my favourite and most remembered diesel loco will be available in a good model (hopefully! ;)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

As a modern image N gauge modeller, and a student with "limited funds" (feel free to think of all the traditional student stereotypes, in my case they are probably true!) I have to say the favourite model in my current collection has to be the simply stunning Kato Eurostar that I was very lucky to receive as a Christmas present a few years ago. In terms of quality, both visual and mechanical, it's in a different league to the Poole - built Farish that makes up the rest of my current fleet (though one of the new 170's would be very welcome..........).

In terms of favourites that I have yet to acquire, a special mention must go to the Class 60's that can be found at N - Thusiast Resprays, photos of which have me drooling in a manner most "normal" (i.e. non-model afflicted) males might react to certain other images to be found on the big www.

Reply to
HST's friend

Bachmann Crab

But, like John Turner, I may reconsider when I get my grubby little hands on an Ivatt 4MT.

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

In message , HST's friend writes

i.e. you spend all your money on beer.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Yep, and if I spent less I would probably have a full length Eurostar set by now!

Reply to
HST's friend

Nice, aren't they? Shows you what *proper* N gauge stock should be like. Well, apart from the lack of availability, and the rather high price they fetch...

... which is incompatible with student life. As I found out when I bought one. As a student.

Now, if only they would do an APT-P set to the same quality. (Well, I can dream, can't I?)

Are they made from the TPM 60 kit? That builds up into a nice loco. Not a good kit for a beginner though - I've built the chassis (which runs almost as well as the eurostar), but I daren't touch the body for fear of wrecking it...

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

The 60's are indeed a TPM kit, the problem is that they are assembled and finished to a higher standard at N-thus then mere mortals like me can hope to achieve! I honestly find the art of locomotive / wagon kit building a very "black" one that I have yet to have a go at (unless you count that frankly embarrassing result of a very good parkside GWR loco coal wagon kit...........)

You say you have the chassis built? This for me is a big selling point of the re-spray loco, is it a big or huge leap in performance over the Poole offerings?

HST

Reply to
HST's friend

Yup, I know what you mean :¬)

Though the feeling of achievement when you have made something can compensate (a bit) for the fact it's not as good as a commercially built kit.

Two plastic vans weren't really enough of an introduction to kit building for a resin bodied loco though :¬(

I've got the version thatuses the Life-like chassis. There is a complete replacement chassis baseplate, and the bogie frames, gears, motor, etc, all need to be transplanted on to it. I needed to do some work on the chassis to get the life-like bogie gear towers to mesh nicely with the worms (they weren't meshing very well by default), but having done this it now pulls very well and very smoothly. The resin is certainly a very soft material to work in, and it would be very easy to remove too much.

I wouldn't say the lifelike mechanism is up to the quality of the Kato mechanism, but it is a step up from (say) the GF 37/47 chassis (the flywheel fitted one, I mean.). It pulls away very smoothly, even when sat on points, something my farish stock doesn't seem to want to do.

It's also easy to DCC fit, unlike any of the farish stuff I've seen so far. There's a convenient location planned to store the decoder, and easy access to the motor terminals and pickup strips. I might even fit it with a decoder one day, it looks so possible :¬)

(I've not got one of the new 158/170 mechs, so I can't comment on those, but I looked at fitting a DCC decoder to my 37 and 47, and decided that the chassis needed serious modification, and I didn't feel like cutting lumps of the metal away. Then I looked at a 20, and that convinced me that DCC was for the next layout, not this one...).

HTH

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

The Bachmann 8750 pannier tank in BR black with late crest.

I don't even possess a model railway, but I had to buy this loco just for the pleasure of looking at it. It looks really chunky and heavy, but the details are exquisite.

One tiny detail that I love is that the smokebox number plate has nice bold numerals; so many models are spoilt, in my eyes, by having smokebox numerals that look too small and spindly. I have read that Standard and Western Region locos had four-inch high numerals, while on other regions they were three inches. I suspect this is not reflected in a lot of models.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

Triang A1A-A1A, it reminds me of the 1960's (and coincidentally the girls school past which it ran).

Should have thrown it out years ago and replaced it with the new Hornby but haven't got the heart to do it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim