Bachmann Ivatt 4MT

Just received the new edition of BRM. On page 37 is a photo of a preproduction shot of Bachmann's forthcoming Ivatt 4MT Mucky Duck. It looks very good indeed! The gap between the cab roof and the roof of the tender cab is commendably narrow. So narrow in fact that I imagine the two roofs would foul each other on even 2nd radius curves. I wonder if Bachmann is going to introduce a special loco/tender coupling to overcome this problem.

Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to this one!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I saw a model of it a Warley, the photos i have seen do not do it justice, it is a superb model and i will be having a couple at least.

Reply to
piemanlarger

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

The gap between loco & tender on the Bachmann K3 is remarkably close - so good in fact that it puts Hornby's efforts in that department totally to shame. Even the new A4 retains their hideous drawbar, a feature which totally spoils the loco for me.

The Bachmann K3 drawbar has two coupling position options, one of which allows a wider gap which will facilitate use on tight curves. I assume the Ivatt will have a similar fetaure.

Incidentally second radius curves are still ridiculously tight. I wouldn't entertain anything less than 24" radius on my layout, and then only if absolutely eseential in places where that severe curvature couldn't be readily seen.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In article , John Turner wrote: I

Phil: As in, perhaps, the off stage storage area??? - but the point is, that if they exist anywhere on the layout, the stock has to be set up to work over them. That is why when I did my Kadee conversions, I tested them on an 18inch radius reverse curve to check the worst case swing - although the layout uses 24inch pointwork on main lines.

Reply to
Phil

The Bachmann Crab and BR Std 5 have similar drawbars, but they don't have to deal with a tender cab, unlike the Ivatt.

Incidentally, on my BR Std 5, when the tender is set in the close position, the tender brake handles foul the cab doors even on the gentlest of curves! Luckily a swipe of the modelling knife and a dab of glue solves the problem.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix