Reply to
Martin

West Country Class 20

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

Hymek every time!

sb

The message from "sb" contains these words:

Black 5. Every time. No boxes, thanks.

Reply to
David Jackson

Yup,

best looking diesel of all time!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

Most certainly agree to both comments.

cheers, simon

Reply to
simon

In real life the Stanier but in model form the 5MT. The two were practically interchangeable around here so substituting one for the other is no big deal.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Q1 for steam for the power and beauty ;) Class 33 the one type that did not need mid-life rebuild.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Martin" wrote

Bachmann Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 for me everytime. It *really* captures the atmosphere of the prototype and runs like a dream.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

B16/1. Or a V2 if you must have something you can buy RTR.

Speaking of V2s, I saw Golden Arrow at Shildon the other week. Very impressive. Evening Star was also there - pity about the copper-top chimney though.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

Hang on a minute John, havent you gone over to the dark side of the dirty diesels ?

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Bit big - and the S&D drivers thought they were not very good

I always thought that the mid size 5mt say were the equivalent of a type 3

Reply to
Martin

Forgot about those - but they are pretty good - not sure if they would have lasted as well as a 37 though

Anyway I was just choosing one per company otherwise I'd have had to do a few 4MTs Crabs, Granges ect

Reply to
Martin

I thought the BR 5MT was supposed to be better

Boxes!

Is that the equivalent of a kettle?

Reply to
Martin

I have to admit I like Modified Halls

Reply to
Martin

SR fan - interesting choices

Reply to
Martin

I want the BR version (like the Airfix kit) for the GWR version

Reply to
Martin

Just a general wondering, I find uk.railway odd and I am sure modellers put more thought in.

So what has happened to Evening Stars chimney?

That is my favourite steam class and 3rd favourite loco class

Reply to
Martin

He's saying he doesn't like Swindon.

The 9Fs were built at Swindon and Crewe. The bean counters who didn't know what they were doing noticed that castings were cheaper at Crewe and machining cheaper at Swindon.

So they moved Swindon's casting to Crewe and Crewe's machining to Swindon. And wondered why machining costs went up.

Turned out Swindon's castings were more accurate and had needed less machining.

The 9Fs were very effective but I never liked them. Of the modern engines my favourites were the class 2MT, both Ivatt and BR versions.

Hawksworth used the 8F as the basis for the County 4-6-0s. He'd also planned a lightweight 4-4-0 based on the Ivatt class 2 which would probably have been a very nice little engine but not as effective as the 2-6-0.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"simon" wrote

Not me mate - I have catholic tastes and like both, although my layout is

100% diesel at the moment. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner