What is the best mid sized UK loco?

"Martin" wrote

I'll second that; I just cannot believe the audacity of the greedy bas#ards with their over-generous expenses, and can barely believe they's accepted a pay increase in-line with inflation.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Instead of the Duchess

Reply to
Martin

Must have been well driven as it is a lot less powerfull than a 47

Reply to
Martin

"Enthusiastically" driven! Mind, all the hydraulics gave a lot more oomph for the same hp engine.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

mainly off the line - the power at rail comparesons between 47 50 and 52 are interesting, the 52 off the line being best but the 50 being best at higher speeds

Reply to
Martin

Practical experience suggestes that rated figures are only something of a guide, a 47 beat the pants off 45,46 and 50 on an HST (Heavy Stone Train) under any circumstance. A 33 would pull it's allowed weight up to Upton Scudamore (Warminster) quite fast, but get near the limit and it would struggle, whereas a 37 would always struggle with anything over a brake van, but would still struggle equally with

950 tons on the back (way over load). Indeed a 37 on the Basingstoke (a 47 turn) would almost go up Greatly bank as well as a 47, and indeed we got the Acton (2002 tons) back from Merehead with only one engine (control air failure on the leading 37) without incident one night (well, ok, the fire alarms were ringing, but that wasn't unusual on 37) which shouldn't have been possible.

Mind, no two engines performed the same anyway!

I've no idea about passenger performance, as happily we only had one passenger turn in our link.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The railways would run a lot better if they didn't have to keep stopping for those darned passengers.

Reply to
MartinS

The message from "Martin" contains these words:

That would be a pointless exercise on a *steam* excursion. We know that delticboxes* can set fire to the scenery, but they're not a substitute for the Real Thing.

[* I once got up at some ungodly hour (about 08.00) on a Saturday morning to take a photo of one going through our local station (100yds away from the house). Can't remember what it was called - something like "Alice" or "Araminta" IIRC]
Reply to
David Jackson

Dunno, perhaps they could do that with Mallard - put a steam/smoke generator in it, no one would notice the box is doing the work. Museum people would be happy they dont have to get it back working and those that do want to see it running will get theyre wish as well.

Cheers, Simmon

Reply to
simon

"roga" wrote

And terrible it was too. Try laying one on a scale drawing of one the rebuilt B12s and you'll see how many compromises were made with the model.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

How true - the Southern used to call us "Go When Ready" (GWR, ho, ho) which was supposed to be an insult, but with freight we could and did, effectively creating our own paths which meant we could get back an hour or two early ;-) It was effectively job-and-knock pre flexible rostering......

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"Martin" wrote

I've got one of the Heljan 7mm 'Hymek' jobbies sat on the bookcase next to this computer. I have to say (despite being a died-in-the-wool LMS/LNER enthusiast) that it's a bonny beastie.

I remember seeing the prototypes working empty stock trains out of Paddington in the early 60s, and always had a bit of a soft spot for them and the D800 series 'Warships', but I'd never want a model of the latter.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

very interesting

A single 37 on 2000 ton - did't think it could shift it!

Reply to
Martin

Neither did we - but the big horribe Yank thing was threatening to give us a shove setting back out of the quarry and we were both dammed if that was going to happen! We got out on the third attempt and got up to Quarry Junction from White's Crossing very slowly indeed.....but did it!

We got a "Have fun did you?" from the Movement Supervisor, which was quite restrained - after all we had just broken the Terrible Twins that should have been the engines for the onward Acton turn.

Apparently the 4ft flame coming out of the exhaust had generated a few box-to-box messages along the way.

Sadly my ex dumped all my note books, or I'd be able to say which

37 it was.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Brilliant show - defended English Electrics honour pretty well!

Reply to
Martin

"Martin" wrote

Aye and they needed LMS 4-4-0s to pull them over the S&D hills.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The rebuilds were good though, effectively 3-cylinder standards.

Did they use the rebuilds on the Slow and Dirty, or were they too heavy?

I always assumed the reason for leaving some in original condition was for West Country lines that couldn't take the rebuilds.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee