Re: Bachmann Digital System

I bought the "fireman's" set from ZTC (and yes actually having to fork out cash for an item- rather than winning it - does influence your opinion ;-) - which is basically the cheapest complete set (controller, booster and transformer) that you need to get started with DCC.

However with the benefit of hindsight if I was wanting to dip my toes in the water, I'd go to German eBay

and buy a Roco digital start set, which typically sell "buy it now" (ie it's fixed price) for ?59 - ?79, which is around £45-£65, and also gives you everything you need in a much simpler packaging and is much, much cheaper than the ZTC set (although to be fair the ZTC set gives you more- but if you're wanting to test the water or just run locos then you probably dont need all the bells and whistles).

The other advantage of the Roco start set (and it's half the reason I've just ordered their digital sound start set- sound loco and *sound* coaches!) is that it's basically Lenz re-badged, and compatible with the various Lenz add-ons (the computer interface, something ZTC don't do, is something I'm particularly interested in).

Edward

PS

If anyone else is "Continental" and hasn't discovered this yet: buy mail-order from a German retailer. I was shocked to discover that UK retailers do a straight ?1 = £1 when pricing continental models- and sometimes worse! As I mentioned above I was looking to buy the Roco digital sound start set: UK price £399-£423. I found a German retailer with a web presence (Google for Modellbahnecke) selling the exact same set for ?399 !!! And that seemed to be repeated for the other models I looked at. That's about a third off the UK price.

> "Phil Stubbington" wrote Andy >> Cost and value aren't the same thing - you can have something very low >> cost but of high value to you, something very expensive which has no >> value to you at all, and every combination in between. A Mercedes SLK >> is high cost, but low value if you can't drive, work in London and >> can't park anywhere, etc. > > Phil. > Yes I see what you mean! I think I'm probably jumping to the defence of > ZTC as I'm a happy user of the system (Although as I have said before, I was > lucky enough to WIN it not buy it.!) > > I must admit, I do question the £30 plus for the unit for controlling only 4 > points though... Makes stud and probe sound very cheap!, but I feel the main > cost of the unit is the hard metal shell it comes in and the fact it's still > a cottage industry rather than a mass produced item (like I guess the Lenz > et al units are on the continent) > > ZTC is a good unit, but I will say to anyone thinking of DCC - Try it, try > another maker - see which you can afford and which one suits best! Lenz are > just as good, I know, I use their chips! > > Andy
Reply to
Edward Kenworthy

Well that's true, but only half of it. Sure you can run *some* DCC sound locos on a DC track and get *some* sound. But a large number don't produce sound on a DC system (my Fleischmann locos do, but none of my Roco locos do). Secondly the sound is limited- the "engine" turns on when you apply it , rumbles, hisses, clanks while moving and goes off as soon as you stop. And having lights on all the time (which you have with DC) isn't realistic (not that I'm personally that bothered with realism- but I know it's important to some).

In contrast using a DCC sound loco on a DCC layout I can have a number of steam locos stopped and quickly hissing, shoveling coal and occassionally blowing off excess pressure; my diesel locos noisily rattle and wheeze away waiting for their signal- which provides a great back drop to which ever loco(s) I'm currently operating. And I can operate the train's whistle/siren/bell at appropriate times (and sometimes just for the hell of it).

Edward

PS

And I always found running a DCC loco using any kind of quality (ie pulsed) DC power supply was very problematic- at low speeds they always head off in the same direction before suddenly reversing to travel in the intended direction!

Reply to
Edward Kenworthy

ZTC's computer interface is supposedly imminent (they were saying released Easter in January)

Reply to
Ian Birchenough

Not knowing much about DCC, is it possible to add sound to UK outline locos? - I'm thinking diesels.

-- potter55(at)ntlworld.com

Reply to
Dave Potter

John - yup, that's absolutely fine - for you. Quality is also relative. I guess some of my reasons for buying ZTC are that:-

  1. aesthetically it's a nice piece of kit
  2. it's solid (metal case, little plastic in sight)
  3. it's British made (call me a sucker - I wouldn't buy a British car though!)

regards, phil

Reply to
Phil Stubbington

Andy,

I agree with you on the £38 for controlling 4 points. You can control

8 incidentally with Tortoise point motors, I was told. However 8 Tortoises @ £12 + £38 accessory decoder module = £134 compared to 8 Peco @ £4 + 2 accessory decoder modules @ £38 = £96.

I haven't tried yet, but can you use other manufacturers accessory decoder modules with ZTC? I presume NMRA define standards for connectors as well as the signal protocol, etc?

thanks, phil

Reply to
Phil Stubbington

Well yes. All decoders should be interchangable. That said, ZTC is only NMRA compatible but not compliant - ie they've been built to interoperate but they haven't passed the NMRA tests.

Reply to
Edward Kenworthy

Certainly is. Check out

(you can even listen to some samples). They sell loksound decoders with UK engine sounds programmed in.

Loksound decoders cost £80. You can get them cheaper second-hand off ebay (best place is

You can get south west digital to re-programme them with UK loco sounds for a fiver each. Or you can use a loksound programmer (around £90) and a Windoze PC to programme them yourself. However the latter is limited for UK sounds because whilst ESU (the makers of loksound) hand out their European sounds for free, they don't produce any UK loco sounds. SW digital do - but don't distribute them.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Kenworthy

Accessory decoders, like loco decoders, generally work with any system that is NMRA compliant. . Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove