digital control options

Could someone please explain the difference between the Fleischmann central controller & their twin centre controller except for the 100
or so pounds I am a little stuck. Also has anyone opions on the Intellibox unit which Fleischmann is based on or for that matter ZTC or Lenz systems.
Thanks in any event
Smokeyone

I believe that Fleischmann systems are dual i.e. their old system the name escapes me!) and DCC compatible. DCC is much a matter of choice providing it complies to NMRA standards. Lenz was the first in the field have always worked (and often set) the standards. They have made DCC for manufacturers like ROCO. Recently, they have manufactured for Bachmann Branchlines. ZTC is British made and is horrendously expensive. There is no doubt that Lenz is the benchmark, the Rolls-Royce and competitively priced. I do not know of any other manufacturer who is that good! Hope this helps. regards, Steve
hmmm.... well... I have never used Lenz DCC so can't comment. Digitrax is quite popular in the States. Reasonable prices (over here, anyway) and good feature set.
In any case, the DCC electrical specification is an NMRA standard, so anybody's decoders work with anybody's boosters. Choose your decoder based on what matches the quirks of the loco best. The throttle bus is *not* standard... so choose your booster/throttles based on what throttle you want to carry around -- that is highly personal decision.
-dave

"Dave Curtis" wrote

Lenz is certainly the market leader in Europe and is competitively priced when compared with other makes.
Quality is also top-class.
John.

Thanks for the info
Smokeyone
I use a twin centre. The T/W is the main proccesor unit controlling up to 999 trains, liks to a pc and neumerous other things. It caters for the Fleischmann old FMZ digital stuff and DCC for all current stuff. A very good system which can use all current NMRA standard decoders. The other twin contrlloer u mention is a add on unit to further expand on the twin centre. i.e you can 'simultaniously' control 4 trains. it is a superb system that is not revewed enough IMHO

Smokeyone wrote:

"Fleischmann FMZ" was Fleischmann's original move into digital control. It had the major advantage that it could operate DC analogue locos as well as digital on the same track without complete rewiring and wholesale replacement of existing controllers. (and the smoke doesn't get out of the analogue motors like it does in DCC analogue mode) In recent years it has not had the development that DCC has so Fln went with Intellibox and dual mode FMZ/DCC named "Twin Centre". This removed the DC analogue capability but avoided FMZ decoders from becoming obsolete. The latest Fln Digital equipment sadly appears to be pure DCC.
Regards, Greg.P.