Hornby Elite DCC - some comments

I think you will find that Bistromathics features in the third book "Life the Universe and Everything"...
... but read the whole trilogy anyway. All five books.
Adrian
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:42:58 -0000, "Adrian B"

And the BBC scripts, of he original radio shows. The first series matches the first book and the original TV series - after which they go in yet another direction.

Hang on Reverse Polish Notation is (or was) part of computer science, not from fiction. I remember it well, it was invented by a Pole, about boolean algebra and .... hads lots of NOTs in.
Simon

You don't remember it that well, then, as Reverse Polish Notation (which was invented by an Australian, Charles Hamblin, who derived it from Polish notation, invented by Jan Lukasiewicz (sorry about the missing slash through the L and any diacritical marks)) converts arithmetic to something suitable for using a stack.
For example 3 + 4 becomes 3 4 + in RPN, which means push 3 on the stack push 4 on the stack add the top two items on the stack, replacing the second item pop the top item off the stack
At least one series of Hewlett-Packard hand-held calculator required users to use RPN to enter their calculations.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation
--
Jane
OO and DCC in the garden

I remembered Reverse Polish Potation well, but not anything about it.
Simon

And my Cannon F73-P purchased 24 (possibly 25) years ago ... and still running with I believe is the same set of batteries it was delivered with. I think that *may* be a record.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

My good old Hewlett Packard 12C, purchased for 100 over 24 years ago, and still going strong on it's second set of batteries. Occasionally borrowed, never stolen, it's fascinating watching someone searching the keyboard for the non existent "equals" key. And I've never bothered to learn how to use a normal calculator.
--
John Bishop

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:38:53 +0000, Jane Sullivan

The English Electric KDF9 (a high speed mainframe computer in the 1960s) was programmed in Reverse Polish.
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:38:53 +0000, Jane Sullivan

I think it used to be all the HP range of calculators used RPN. But these days, most of them are now algebraic with one or two using RPN. I've got one of the latest RPN ones - the HP33s - and it can be switched to algebraic operation if required. I started with an HP25 way back in the mid 70s.
IIRC, one of Clive Sinclair's early scientific calculators used RPN as well.
Jim.

It did, I had one briefly.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
simon wrote:

Not necessarily. RPN refers to syntax, not a language as such. It states the arguments first, then the operation to be carried out on them. Several languages use(d) this syntax.
HTH
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 17:56:12 -0000, "John Turner"

Surely, If manufacturers do not conform to a national or better still an international standard and provide concise user instructions then the customers should vote with their wallets.
Speaking as a control engineer of long experience, it is not necessary to enter the "black box" and anything which is sold as a tool to a project should be user friendly and not require a Ph.D in button pressing or a facility in gobidigook speak.
That which I need to know to design, is in no way related to the knowlege required by the end user. I often get the impression that there is a group of "modellers" who merely wish to impress us with their savoir malin.
"Peter Abraham" wrote

Absolutely, but the reality some of the larger manufacturers work on the basis that their name alone will sell the product, and the fact that it may not be fully compatible with industry standards simply means that the customer is locked into that product range.
It's important that people are informed when this becomes an issue, because that 'locking in' can restrict their opportunities of taking full advantage of all the features which DCC can offer.
John.
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:16:34 -0000, "John Turner"

I do so agree but there is ample proof in the car industry that the man with the dosh will not be conned for ever.
"Peter Abraham" wrote

Yup, but in today's commercial world 'forever' has been effectively displaced by 'short term-ism', so idealised by Thather's Conservative government.
John.

Bachmann havent done that have they ?
(ducks for cover)

From MREMag ....
Hornby today confirmed that both the Select and Elite are NMRA compatible. Furthermore, the Elite can accommodate all 4 programming modes - Ed.
If Pat Hammond says that then thats enough for me !
Simon
"simon" wrote

Not wishing to denigrate Pat in any way, but to be fair he will only be repeating what he's been told.
John.

I knew it, should have put the "if Pat Hammond says that Hornby says "
Hornby today confirmed that both the Select and Elite are NMRA compatible. Furthermore, the Elite can accommodate all 4 programming modes
then thats good enough for me.
It was the quote from hornby that I thought was significant - although didnt think they needed to say anything - IIRC the hornby name being enough......
Cheers, Simon
On MREMAG today, from Mr kohler.....
Concerning your e-mail, I suspect, although I would need to check to be absolutely certain, that the reason why the TCS decoders do not appear to function correctly is the fact that they may require to be programmed using a different format than the Select uses. There are, in principal, 4 specific programming modes - Direct, Operation, Paged and Register. The Select uses the most recent format, which is Direct, but without receiving the technical spec of the decoders in question I cannot be more specific. Incidentally, the Elite can accommodate all 4 programming modes. Finally, both the Elite and Select are NMRA compatible. I hope the above is of help. Simon Kohler
Now hows that for a statement, simple facts, complete explanation, no name calling. Its one of the reasons I have a lot of respect for the man as well as the company.
Cheers, Simon