Hornby Elite DCC - some comments

In the nicest possible way can I ask where Hornby deviate from the standard ? (I have to phrase it like that cos John always thinks I'm having a go at him for always having a go at hornby)

Simon

Reply to
simon

So this comes back to the original question, has anyone tried a TCS decoder with CV29 set for short addresses to see if Horby's system will read the address ?

Simon

Reply to
simon

If I may just offer some advice, try to avoid common sense in an emotive thread. You wont get any replies. (this page intentionaly left almost blank)

Simon

Reply to
simon

Think we should simplify things here, is it a software spec or a protocol ?

Simon

Reply to
simon

DCC defines how decoders communicate with command stations i.e. waveforms packet format etc so protocol is a better description. Software is what is run on the decoders/command station to encode/decode from that protocol and deliver functionality. Think of it the same way the internet works. Various standards define packet structure, timing etc. Software on PCs/routers etc then uses the IP packets to deliver functionality such as messages to newsgroups. All applications must conform to the protocol but vary in how they use them such as MS IE making up there own standards. Another analogy is the telephone network which defines how the network should be used voltage levels, signalling etc and top of that people make voice calls, send faxes and connect PCs to the internet.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Funny to listen to people who have a low depth of knowledge propound such as ideas :)

Reply to
Chris

You could try live steam :)

Reply to
Chris

In message , simon writes

You don't remember it that well, then, as Reverse Polish Notation (which was invented by an Australian, Charles Hamblin, who derived it from Polish notation, invented by Jan Lukasiewicz (sorry about the missing slash through the L and any diacritical marks)) converts arithmetic to something suitable for using a stack.

For example 3 + 4 becomes 3 4 + in RPN, which means push 3 on the stack push 4 on the stack add the top two items on the stack, replacing the second item pop the top item off the stack

At least one series of Hewlett-Packard hand-held calculator required users to use RPN to enter their calculations.

See

Jane Sullivan

well thats you struck off my christmas card list.

Simon

Reply to
simon

I remembered Reverse Polish Potation well, but not anything about it.

Simon

Reply to
simon

Jane Sullivan wrote in news:4esCgpm9$ snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

And my Cannon F73-P purchased 24 (possibly 25) years ago ... and still running with I believe is the same set of batteries it was delivered with. I think that *may* be a record.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Not at all. I record it for a friend in America. He quite likes it. Mind you, he hasn't seen episodes 4 & 6 of Torchwood yet.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I've no idea when it was designed but it was earlier than Lenz's digital. I think it can on the market about 1975.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

In article , Jane Sullivan writes

and still going strong on it's second set of batteries. Occasionally borrowed, never stolen, it's fascinating watching someone searching the keyboard for the non existent "equals" key. And I've never bothered to learn how to use a normal calculator.

Reply to
John Bishop

I've got one of those in the cupboard somewhere. :-( That one was more of a frequency system, as was MiniTrix's EMS. Their Grand-daddy was the US GE system, the name escapes me for the moment.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The basis was Motorola's (Lenz anyway) garage door remote encoder/decoders.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The English Electric KDF9 (a high speed mainframe computer in the

1960s) was programmed in Reverse Polish.
Reply to
calee

Working towards that, but I still want a little control over the train!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Not necessarily. RPN refers to syntax, not a language as such. It states the arguments first, then the operation to be carried out on them. Several languages use(d) this syntax.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K

Addressing (loco numbers) as been reported by others. (It's not alone in this.) This prevents it from being truly plug'n'play.

Otherwise it appears to conform, so Hornby decoders should work with any NMRA-compliant DCC command station.

BTW, NMRA is chewing over a standard scheme of "additional function" CVs. There have also been mumblings about an extended CV table (up to CV128, IIRC.)

I don't think DCC will be fully standardised for a while yet. Besides, there's no reason, apart from cost, why a 4- or 8-bit and a few KBs of RAM CPU couldn't be included in the decoder, so that all programming could be done in plain language. That would hide function numbers, CV numbers etc from the user. In which case, the standard could be reduced to the absolute minimum: packet format only. Oh, and colour codes for the wires.

Reply to
Wolf K