Derailing Hornby tender (drive)

I've just unpacked my train set after 19 years and built a new layout using Peco settrack/streamline. I have a Hornby Schools and a D49 and the floppy centre wheels on the tenders seem to catch on the more modern finer points causing the tenders to lift off the track and the locos to stall. Is there an easy solution to this (apart from removing the centre wheeels)?

Reply to
Gerald H

I don't have one of those, but it sounds like the centre axle needs BtoB checking, and some gentle downward springing!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You should be able to find replacement wheels to current standards. You may have to drill out the bearings and insert those little brass cup bearings, too.

Good luck. Old Hornby is always a PITA to upgrade to modern wheel standards.

Reply to
Wolf

Won't the centre axles need sideways movement and vertical movement?

Reply to
Greg Procter

I have 5 of this type and have suffered this fault from time to time with each of them. my problems seem to stem from over reluctant motor starting. The sudden transition from 0 to max causes a leap in the air! I rebuilt one tender to use 14 mm driving wheels from the DE bogies with drive on both sides (4 wheel) -- this is great but still has the start up problem. My only cure is thorough cleaning as none of them has room for extra ballast. The other problem has been the odd hick up with the loco section which is not always happy with a point and is usually due to hidden muck.

Regards

PA

Reply to
Peter Abraham

"Greg Procter" wrote

Maybe if one is using ridiculously tight train set curves, but the reality is that Hornby's more recent super-detailed (loco drive) models all have fixed wheels throughout the tenders and they will still negotiate curved below 20" radius.

I really don't see why the tender drive models were so casually designed.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If you can get into the motor at all, put a drop of contact cleaner-lubricant on the commutator, and any other places where electricity must cross a sliding contact. This will improve any motor's operation. (The brand I prefer is Aero-Car.) It also helps to lubricate the mech with correctly formulated greases and oils. Do not use sewing machine oil, for example, as a universal lubricant. Buy the good stuff - it's worth every penny.

However, IIRC Hornby used three-pole motors on its tender drives. If so, that too is a reason from the jack-rabbit starting. If the engine is worth it to you, investigate replacing the motor, too.

OTOH, upgrading this loco with new wheels and motor may end up costing as much or more than a newer, better built version. That's a frequent occurrence in my experience. Sigh.

Reply to
Wolf