Hornby - new Gresley coaches - price increase.

We have been notified of price increases on the new Hornby Gresley coaches which are shown with a recommended retail price (RRP) of GBP25.00 in the
current Hornby UK price list.
Those in LNER 'teak' livery will now have an RRP of GBP35.00 whilst the BR (carmine/cream) liveried versions will be GBP28.00, the difference apparantly resulting from the relative cost of the print processes for the two types.
--
Best wishes,
John Turner,

I used to, but I'm afraid I totally lost patience with some of the utter drivel which appears on there. Not I hasten to add from the publisher, but from some of the idiot email contributors.

for
Well they claim they are *in the process* of sending this bulletin out to all retailers, but this Hornby Collectors' Centre hasn't been graced with a copy as yet. Funny that Bachmann can send a Trade Bulletin to every retailer every month without this sort of hit and miss approach.
I'm not prepared to criticise the price increase until I've seen the models and made a rational decision whether they represent value-for-money or not. At the end of the day if they're really good then people will probably buy them; but they're going to have to be better than the 'new' Pullmans which I reckon are inferior to the much cheaper Bachmann Mk1 coaches.
John.

gets
but
There is utter drivel on here too sometimes! You have to give everyone they chance to prove themselves wrong!

models
not.
"piemanlarger" wrote

Why? If I recall correctly did the LNER not run into London Kings Cross, Cambridge, Norwich, Oxford, along with parts of Wales even? Were there not inter-regional trains workings as far south as Bournemouth and Poole and as far north as Abderdeen and Fort William?
John.

not
as
Yes, should someone wish to purchase a rake they could always justify it as a football special or cross country formation going into another region, but not many modellers other than LNER people are going to purchase them in any number. Certainly, no one in our club (even modellers such as myself who model every region to a degree) has any views on putting a rake together at these higher prices, as we are out of region.
I might go for a buffet car.

London Midland Region made extensive use of Grsleys in BR days to relieve a chronic shortage of coaching stock. Photographs of the period show ex-LMS engines pulling entire trains of Gresleys while BG parcel vans were being used on the LMR right up until electrification in 1960's.
(kim)

BR(WR) also used lots of Gresley coaches for Summer Saturday strengthening of its trains following the cull of GWR coaches around 1961. I have photos of the Pembroke Coast Express in South West Wales with three Gresleys at the front of the usual Mk1 chocolate and cream set.
David
"gwr4090" wrote

And didn't the Gresley Buffet cars in blue/grey livery end up on BR(WR) with 'W' prefixes to their numbers?
John.

strengthening
photos
with
Yup, W9115E was one of the last survivors in the mid-70s, IIRC, in blue/grey.
-- *** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ *** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com
From personal observation in the late 1960's the LMR used at least one Gresley buffet car, in blue and grey, in use quite regularly on the Manchester Piccadilly to Harwich Parkeston Quay service (the train in Table "Z" in the all regions timetable). David Costigan

used
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:35:58 +0000, piemanlarger wrote:

35.00 each, only to have them trashed?
Ken.

Indeed, since the LNER operated the GC main-line throughout the entire grouping period, a great number of LNER cross-country trains passed into foreign territory.
Ronnie -- Volunteer guard on the Great Central Railway, Loughborough, Leicestershire Visit the world's only double track preserved steam railway! http://www.gcrailway.co.uk
.

I'm in the North and I model LM/NE but I certainly wont pay that much for them. That kind of pricing will simply make me buy more kits and/or scratch build. Mike H
"jimedvic" wrote

scratch
And that is absolutely your perogative, but some of us don't have the spare time to go along that route, and we'll shortly have the option of deciding whether it's a fair price or otherwise.
The sad thing is if no-one buys them, then I reckon it will be less likely that Hornby would go along the 'quality' route again in the future.
John.
Yo

If they're 'that' good then they're cheaper than a Comet kit + paint/decals and almost certainly better than most people could scratch build/finish to the same level!
I'll be buying 3 :o)
Fling

From my point of view they are the wrong railway, and not likely to visit the area that I am trying to be impressionistic about.
However, if Hornby were to introduce some Collett suburban coaches, I would buy about a dozen (i.e. 2 trains + some loose coaches for strengthening), even at the prices being discussed here.
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html

Me too. And how about a Southern EMU to those standards!!!! Id even build a garden railway to run em on :-) ob

Good point. Maybe someone ought to remind Hornby that I used their flexible and semi-flexible track for my garden railway; more than 400 yards of the stuff. (I had to use Peco points and crossings because Hornby don't do the sort of things I was after.)
After all, one good turn deserves another ...
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html
Yo
writes

Just out of interest, why did you use Hornby flex instead of Peco?
TIA
Fling

The first and second phases of my layout are mostly dead straight for 150 feet, apart from the ends of the dogbone which are large radius curved, so I thought I'd try their semi-flexible track. Having bought lots of that, it seemed only natural to buy their fully flexible track in order to get something that matches. Unfortunately, it doesn't match but it's a better match than Peco is (I've got a few yards of that for comparison somewhere).