Hornby Silver Jubilee

While reading through this months edition of Model Rail, one of the advertisers (think it was that mob in Southampton) was selling a Hornby LNER Silver Jubilee set, plus an expansion kit of three coaches. I automatically assumed it meant the train set that came out in the 80s, A4 plus three silver stanier coaches. But this one was 'new' came under the Great British Trains heading and the catalogue number was R2XXX. Anyone got any info on it?

Reply to
James Christie

Southampton mc did a limited ed silver link (bachmann) at the end of last year, Bachmann have also produced Silver fox to current standards.

The Hornby pack was available a few years ago with 'silver king'. coach packs were avaliable to extend it.

trainpack (prices vary massively....£150-£230 mib)

coach pack: (expect to pay £60 MIB )
Hornby also released Quicksilver last christmas as a special edition, which is sought after. (high prices on ebay)

While all the models are 'nice enough' The stanier coaches are still the stanier ones and are nothing like the real ones (other than the colour and that they have flat sides). This is essentially a re-issue, though I'd expect the painting and detailing to be to current (china) decoration standards etc.....

kits were available for the real articulated coaches, but at the moment I think the closest thing that can be done is kit-bash the coronation coaches kit from coopercraft . (which is fairly similar)

I have Silver fox and Silver Link from bachmann. I did have a QuickSilver from hornby, but I though the bachman ones were better.

With the iminent new model, I'd expect a re-release of this pack again in the next few years.

A near mint Bachmann Silver fox is likely to represent best value. I got mine at a swapmeet for £75.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

Cheers for that Craig, just a carbon copy of the 80s set after all. I'm getting fed up with ebay, really sick and tired of those bastards who wait till the last minute of the auction and then outbid you so haven't got time to reply with another bid, the bastards. Ah well, that's my rant for the evening.

Reply to
James Christie

James Christie wrote:-

What's the problem? Just decide what you limit is and let eBay bid for you.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

My point is I'm prepared to go above what the item was sold for, but someone waits until literally the last minute and then outbids me, the point again being that I don't have the opportunity to rebid (which is what I want to do). This has happened to me three times in the last month.

Reply to
James Christie

James Christie wrote:-

So is the other guy. The chances are he has placed an automatic bid so unless you set your maximum bid above his maximum bid you will never win.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

I dont think you're getting my point.

Reply to
James Christie

Stuart wrote:-

Not necessarilly.

Decide the maximum an item is worth. Wait until one minute before the close of bidding then slam in your maximum bid. Chances are the other guy won't have time to respond and you will often get the item for less than you were prepared to pay. (But please don't do it with one of my auctions).

kim

Reply to
kim

In message , Stu writes

You're right of course. Haven't done it myself, its just so annoying when it happens to you though! Especially as I'd been lead bidder on this thing for 3 days, all fine till it said one min left, I was distracted by a TV program, did a refresh and found out this bloke had usurped me. Bugger... Maybe he just doesn't like me or something, this is the second time he's done it to me. Ah well, there's always next time.. Anyone fancy building me a Mk 2D DBSO to make me feel better?

Reply to
James Christie

Simple solution - join eBayers Anonymous. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

James Christie wrote:-

I don't think you're getting *my* point that most winning bids are placed within a minute of the close of auction. Until you understand that you're not going to get anywhere on eBay as either a buyer or a seller.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In news:Jv1I1bq$ snipped-for-privacy@christie.demon.co.uk, James Christie blithered:

They're probably using something like bid-sentry which you can too.

Reply to
GbH

"GbH" wrote

All of which means you end up paying more than the thing is worth, so why worry?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So what is your point? If you were prepared to bid more than the item sold for then why didn't you bid accordingly in the first place? If, say, an item starts at £1 and you're prepared to pay £30 then bid £30. You'll only end up paying £30 if someone else bids the price up, otherwise you'll pay less.

Reply to
MBQ

In message , John Turner writes

Think I'll give ebay a rest for a while anyway, its far too easy to spend money. On another note, the Blue Bachmann 40 appeared yet John?

Reply to
James Christie

In message , kim writes

Doesn't make it right, not very polite for a start.

Reply to
James Christie

"James Christie" wrote

Just got the invoice for them this morning - expecting stock tomorrow.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

James Christie wrote:-

Does it occur to you that concealing the amount you were willing to bid from the other person wasn't 'very polite' either? If you are not polite to him, why should he be polite to you?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

Now you're just being silly. The whole thing about max bid is so your interests are held while you're offline, and if he (the other bidder) wants to know how high I'm prepared to go all he needs to do is keep bidding till it goes above my limit. So how is that impolite? You're very confrontational in your postings Kim, maybe you should go on a paintball outing, great thing for stress relief.

Reply to
James Christie

James Christie wrote:-

Well, you started it :o)

You really don't understand the whole principle of auction do you?

I'm an army psychiatrist, the last thing I need is more guns. I took up model railways for stress relief circa 1996.

(kim)

Reply to
kim