Does anyone know if Bachmann make a 00 A4 "Silver Link"?

Does anyone know if Bachmann make a 00 A4 "Silver Link"? I've seen one of ebay a few times that's a limited edition but the price wanted is about twice what you'd pay for a normal backmann A4. I was wondering if Bachmann has/does produce an ordinary one without the huge pricetag. Any info would be most apreciated. CJ

Reply to
CJ

To the best of my knowledge, the silver A4 was only produced as a limited run for Southampton Model Centre of 500 pieces.

you can't usually produce a limited edition and a regular edition of exactly the same loco with the same tooling. Variations on the silver link in silver are a bit limited.

Bachmann did produce a 'Silver Fox' a few years back, which apear on ebay from time-to-time, at £80-100.

I'd hang on for a bit to see what hornby make (in addition to their announced 2004 catalogue models ) with their new A4 tooling.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

Thanks Craig, I'll keep an eye out for Hornby developements. I suppose they feel there may be a demand since they've brought out a live steam version of the Silver Link. As for limited editions... are they usually of a better/worse quality or as accurate as a regular edition given the limited financial return in their production?

CJ

Reply to
CJ

With the Bachmann silver link, It's pretty much the same as a standard bachmann a4, but the limited number pushes up the unit cost.

Some limited editions have special features such as wooden presentation boxes, gold plated valve gear, track brass name plates, coach boards, collectors plates and so on.

Runs of a a very small number 100, 250, 300, 500 probably won't be dripping with extras. with 2000 to 5000 enough are made to justify development costs. (runs with extra bits are usually manufacturer motivated, whilst small runs like the bachmann silver link are sometimes comissioned - in this case by the Southampton Model Centre).

Larger runs are availiable to retailers with deep pockets for example I believe there was 10,000 Marks and Spencer Royal train sets for christmas

  1. Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas