New Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T - pictures

These images illustrate the newly released Hornby model of the Fowler

2-6-4T, the first versions of which in LMS crimson livery & carrying the number 2311 came into stock today.

First impressions are that this model features a totally new 5-pole (?) motored chassis, but with only an uprated & extra-detailed version of the original body. I stress this is only my initial impression and I do not have one of the earlier models to hand for comparison purposes.

Running qualities are certainly a leap forward on what went before, and this sensibly sized loco model is likely to be a good seller when the more popular British Railways liveried versions become available.

Recommended retail price is GBP62.50 including VAT.

-- Best wishes, John Turner,

53A Models, Hull, UK.
Reply to
John Turner

Damn! Hornby has now upgraded practically every steam loco I bought in the last 10 years. I have the old Fowler, which runs better without its traction tyres, at least with only 2 or 3 suburban coaches. Like other people (apparently) I don't care for the crimson lake livery; it's my only loco in (early) BR lined black.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" <

Martin, you bought something with traction tyres!

Tsk, tsk. I thought you knew better. :-)

And what do you mean you don't like Crimson lake. Weren't you there when the LMS used it? [VBEG]

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

That's all there was available until recently.

Not on the Fowler, specifically. I can't remember any late 40s/early 50s steam locos in colours other than soot black. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" <

Yep, unfortunately that was the colour of most of them.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

John, As always some great pictures of another new model. Can you advise what camera you use to take them?

Many Thanks, Jan

Reply to
Jan Rapacz

"Jan Rapacz" wrote

Canon EOS D30 digital using a Canon AF 22-55mm zoom set at f 27 with the camera set in AV mode using inbuilt flash and tripod mounted.

John.

Reply to
John Turner