Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T

Well, it has taken me a while to get one of these, but I finally took the plunge and it arrived today.

I was in two minds as to whether I should get one at all, because the detail didn't seem to be quite as good as some other new releases - probably something to do with it being a re-release. But after having a close look at one at the Norwich MRC recently I decided to go for it. After all, I enjoy adding detail and if this requires a little more work, so what?

I got the BR early emblem version. There is a minor error with the tank vents in the coal bunker and there is a lack of detail below the footplate - nothing I can't deal with. But as it happens, I'm very pleased with it, because the running quality is, quite simply, astonishing!

It ran well straight from the box. I test ran it light engine and was very impressed by the slow running, so I didn't bother running it in and I slapped half a dozen Bachmann Mk1s behind it right from the off. It still happily crept along at walking pace, without the slightest sign of stalling. Amazing!

I've had it running continually for about six hours now and I have to say I'm very pleased with it. It has an odd wiggle at speed, but that's not a problem because I'm unlikely to run anything at express speeds on my layout.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the running quality of this model - it is even better than the recent Q1. Well done Hornby!

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix