Odd query re barrels

If anyone frequents a pub using wooden hogsheads I'd be grateful if
you could find the length and diameter - All to do with writing up
wagon loads for the web site - My notes say . . .
The sizes of wooden casks were semi-standardised, typical dimesions
might be taken as
Kegs are small barrel shaped casks with a capacity of ten gallons or
less (45.5 litres just under two foot long by just over a foot wide).
Kilderkin (half barrel) holds 18 gallons (imperial) and is 25" long by
20" max diameter. Potatoes and other vegetables were often shipped in
half barrel sized wooden casks but these were light weight and simple
in construction, the hoops holding the staves together were often thin
strips of wood nailed in place. One end was left open and after
filling this was usually stuffed with straw and bound with rope to
keep the potatoes in place.
Barrel holds 36 gallons (imperial) and is 30" long by 25" max diameter
(however the 'herring barrel, used for dry goods is 26 2/3 gallons
capacity)
Hogshead holds 54 gallons (imperial) and is 45" long by 38" max
diameter. Commonly used for beer, wines or spirits these are about as
big as a man can handle easily.
Puncheon holds approx 72 gallons, close to five feet long by four feet
in diameter. This is the largest barrel that would fit through the
drop door of a standard five plank wagon. Puncheons were used mainly
for lighter oils I believe.
Butt is a very big barrel, holding either 108 (beer) or 126 (wine)
gallons. The larger size was used for imported wine I believe.
Ton or Tun is the equivalent of two butts, this was actually used as a
measure for fish and I believe it was based on the smaller Butt giving
a capacity of about 220 gallons, or just about bang on 1,000 litres
which would be just over a ton in weight when full of beer.
I'd like to check any I can
Regards
Mike
Reply to
Mike
Mike I think they were more than semi. My reason is that I have a boxwood rule (for want of a better term) which works like a sliderule and gives the contents in gallons against each type of barrel. I assume that the datum mark was set against some fixed point and the movable part adjusted until it touched the liquid, then you could read off the content volume. there wouldn't be much point in such a device without standard dimensions. Since there is no brewery name it would seem to be a universal tool.
Ken.
Reply to
Ken Parkes
That sounds posh, we had a brass rod dip stick for taking ullages in our wooden barrels (thirty years ago mind). The hogsheads were hand made but you coudn't see any differences by eye. Beer containers were made to pretty standard sizes but the actual definition for the various sizes of cask are often 'holding between x and y gallons'.
I believe steel and alluminium barrelks were introduced in the later 1950's and they would have been exactly the same as each other (near enough), I think the Merit 'barrels' were supposed to be of this type, although painted brown with red ends as supplied I think they should have been silver (no stave lines and the sides taper to a distinct ridge at the 'equator'.
Thanks for the info though
Mike
Reply to
Mike