2 Questions - Dapol and Radii

I am setting up an N gauge system and have a couple of questions that I am hoping some kind soul can advise me on. First, I have seen some Dapol locos that I rather like and my question is: are the Dapol trains compatible with those from Graham Farrish (i.e. couplings)?

My second question is concerning radii. The blurb from Bachmann enclosed with a Graham Farrish DMU I bought advises that locos with tenders should not be run on radii of less than 12 inches. Due to space limits I have had to use Peco settrack for the double oval basis of my layout which means that the radii of the curves are 9 inch and 10.75 inch (the only two Peco do). I had hoped to get the rebuilt Merchant Navy Class "Canadian Pacific" (mainly because I once had the pleasure of driving the original). How critical is the 12 inch caution from Bachmann? Would I be able to run the loco at slower speeds? If not, I have been looking at the Fowler (060) locos with tenders that Farrish do, would they be OK on these smaller radii?

I have asked the first question by email to Hattons and the second to Hattons and Farrish, but both have, unfortunately, ignored me.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Keith, Farish (Note -only 1 R) is compatible coupling wise with Dapol - who I understand have interchangeable couplings anyway. So, YES!

I would have thought that most locos in N will still manage a 10.75 inch curve and maybe the 9, but would look rather silly. I remember a Minitrix

4-6-2 A4 Mallard once on an uncles layout and that managed the 9 inches fine, but it just looked daft with the front pony truck and the rear bogie swinging well out from under the loco. If the 0-6-0 will not go around, then a 4-6-2 will not as really it is the main driving wheels wheel base that is the hardest bit to get around a corner. Some models have a flangeless centre driving wheel so they can negotiate the tighter bends..

I hope this helps and I'm not rambling on again ??

Reply to
Andy Sollis

Thanks Andy. I am thinking that the 0-6-0 might be the better choice because, as you say, of appearance in operation. Glad the Dapol are compatible as I had a leaflet from Hattons with some good prices. Just a shame that they don't respond to information requests.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Keith, That choice is for your making, not mine, but they can look better, yes.

Andy

Thanks again.

Reply to
Andy Sollis

Personally I wish they could all manage 7 inch radius - did one using Fleichman stuff, the inner curve on their curved points is about 7 inch radius. Got two starter sets, each with two curved points, added a left, right, three way and a slip to try them out as much as anything. All my old Grafar and Minitrix stuff managed, didn't try anything new though - The Fliechman stuff goes round fine as you would expect, and has the best close coupling I have seen. I would agree that such tight curves look a but naff but they are really handy for hidden bits, allowing a return loop in a very small space. I built one a while back for a kiddie using old Minitrix track, with 7 inch or there abouts curves, standard train set layout on a 4 x 2 baseboard, short 0-6-0 locos, four wheel coaches and no bogie goods stock - Frankly it was a lot of fun to operate.

Only point is it is handy to keep space requirements down if tight curves can be managed

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

I've not looked at Fleischman locos. Do you happen to know if they will couple up to Farish stock?

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I believe so, I tend to run either-or so I cannot guarantee that (at the moment everything is packed away so I cant test it for you) - As I remember it everything couples up okay but the Fleichman uncoupler only seems to work with Fleichman stock (not with Peco, Farish, Japanese or Lima). An all fleichman setup works flawlesly (in my limited experience) but some of the old fleichman curved points cause derailments, the new ones seem fine (old ones are only seen second hand these days). One nice touch is that the point motors can be unclipped and re-fixed upside down so they lie below baseboard level (with a strip of ballasted paper over the top) but I used wire in tube for all but the hidden sidings. Fleichman are not cheap however.

Reply to
Mike Smith

Thanks. More to mull over.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Finally got an answer from Bachmann on the radii question. They recommend minimum 12inch radius curves for large tendered locos but say that they will handle down to 9 inch but because of friction on tight bends this drastically reduces the length of train they can pull.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Thanks - Useful info - That's large tender locos off my list then. Diesels seem okay on 7.5 inch radius I gather

Reply to
Mike Smith