Graham Farish 'Jubilee'

The first examples of the Graham Farish N-gauge 'Jubilee' 4-6-0s have just arrived in stock; the following is now available:-

372-475 45699 'Galatea' in BR green (late crest)

and superb they look too.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

Hmmm! I was looking at them at Warley, along with the Dapol 9F, both good looking locos. Have you had a chance to try a Jub? And the next question: does it pull as well as the Peco Jub?

Reply to
David Jackson

"David Jackson" wrote

The 'Jube' runs smoothly enough, but no idea of its haulage capability.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

According to the 2mm Treasurer who has one, no its not as powerful as the old Peco Jubilee, though better in every other respect. He thought Bachmann-Farish's estimate of 8 coaches (with 2 traction tyres) would only be achieved "on the level with very free running coaches". He thinks a bit more weight in the tender (where the drive is located) could fix the traction issues, as the tender weights only 40% of the Peco tender weight.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

Thanks, John. The Dapol 9F is on my list so that I can dump the MiniTrix "9F", but there's only one person who can answer the next question: Can I justify buying one? Why didn't they do a Scot or a Pat so that the question wouldn't arise...

Decisions, decisions.

Reply to
David Jackson

The message from "Nigel Cliffe" contains these words:

The diagrams for my "Express" locos include 9 coach trains, often with added ballast in the form of a couple of full brakes or a horse-box or two, depending on the working - and the layout has a couple of gradients...

I think I'll put the Jub on hold for the moment. However, the 9F is a must-have!

Thanks for the advice, Nigel.

Reply to
David Jackson

With four traction tyres, the quoted load is 12 coaches. That might be enough for you.

I understand that both options (two or four traction tyres) are included in the box, the owner can then swap between whichever is better; more traction or better pickup and appearance.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Suggest you ebay the Minitrix one; the collectors might still pay silly money for them.

My only significant complaint about the Dapol 9F is that the huge drive shaft UJ is visible through the cab. I don't know what its slow speed running is like, I thought the Q1 was not as smooth as it should be at low speed.

The Dapol 9F is not as nice appearance as the 2mm kit version, and I doubt it matches the 2mm one for running (see website), though the Dapol is less than 1/3rd the price and you don't have to assemble it :-)

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

The message from "Nigel Cliffe" contains these words:

Hey! I've nearly* finished the Super D - 3 years and counting! Compared with the MiniTrix the Dapol 9F is perfection...

[* fsvo nearly ]
Reply to
David Jackson

The message from "Nigel Cliffe" contains these words:

I think I'll hold fire on the Jub for the time being, at least until I've seen one in action. Even the "Black Fives" can handle 10 coaches, and the 2-6-4T can manage 16, but don't ask it to hurry (its normal load is 4 or 5), both without traction tyres.

Reply to
David Jackson

Pictures I've seen of Jubilees show them pulling trains of as few as five coaches.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The message from "kim" contains these words:

That must have been in the 60s. They were used for expresses on the WCML and the Midland, and would load to 11 or 12, in the 50s. Have a look at photos by Eric Treacy, or Derek Cross, and see how steam locos were loaded before the boxes came on the scene.

Reply to
David Jackson

Mid 1950's, cross-country express route from New Street station. The five coaches were all ex-NER Gresleys.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The message from "kim" contains these words:

As I said, look at WCML (via TV, rather than the Birmingham cross-country stuff which was always more lightly loaded) and the Midland line for more typical examples. Remember that for 10 coaches or less, a Black 5 would usually be allocated: most Saturday trains along the N.Wales coast from Lancashire and Yorkshire would be 9 or 10 coaches, and hauled by Black 5s or the occasional B1. [OT: I can remember travelling down the coast and having 6 trains in view at the same time, all waiting to access the platforms at Rhyl - fast and slow lines, 2 trains in front, one alongside our train, and two more behind.]

Reply to
David Jackson