Need help with 1950-60'sera remote switch tracks

The switch tracks just buzzes and groans when hooked up. 1 Side works the other doesnt. Do I need a new motor?? Where can I sent to get fixed?

Reply to
Ron B

You need to help us help you: What scale? What kind of turnout? If Lionel, what catalog number? But if you are asking about Lionel O gauge #O-22 or O-27 #1122 turnouts, the problem may well be that your turnout has a "non-derailing" feature, where a short section of one of the running rails on the straight and diverging routes are insulated from the rest of the turnout. When the train passes over these rails, its wheels complete a circuit to automatically throw the turnout for the oncoming train. You need to put an insulating track pin between these insulated rails and the adjacent track sections. If you leave the pin out, the adjoining track competes the non derailing circuit, and the turnout continually tries to switch to the other route. GQ

Reply to
Geezer

Hey I appreciate the help. It is 0 scale lionel. Model #1122E It has black plastic case, red and white glass switch light. The track looks layout is basicaly a figure 8 with straight pieces of track to make it an oval around it. The switch im having trouble will stay on straight. If I try to turn manually it goes back straight. Are you saying I am missing a pin in my track some where? I nailed it down with alot of nails... Where would I start to look for it? Thanks again for your help. Ron

Reply to
Ron B

The 1122E has the "non-derailing" feature. The insulated rails that actuate the automatic throwing of the points are the inside running rails coming out from the frog. (If you look at the rails at the frog end of the turnout, and number the rails 1 to 6 from left to right, so 1 and 6 are the outside rails on the sides of the switch, 2 and 5 are the center power rails, and 3 and 4 are the insulated non-derailing rails). Rails 3 and 4 must have plastic or fiber insulated pins between the 1122E and the adjacent regular track sections. Your symptoms sound like you have a steel pin connected to the inside straight rail. GQ

Reply to
Geezer