Attaching model driver tires

Does anyone know how MDC and Bowser attach the steam loco driver tires to the zamac driver centers? Is it just a press fit, or do they also use an adhesive? Is the same method used for both insulated and non insulated drivers (I could see that a press fit might suffice on the non insulated drivers, but wonder if the insulating material might need some help for a long lasting joint)? Do they have little ring shaped burners attached to modified BiC lighters to heat the tires a la the prototype? GQ

Reply to
Geezer

It's usually just a tight press fit. I've had some old ones come loose, probably due to the insulation shrinking with age or humidity. It's tricky to get them back together, as the clearances are slight at best (often negative), and the insulation usually delicate. It's critical to press STRAIGHT down, as any angular misalignment will probably cut the insulation ring during the 'press' (use a good vise or arbor press ... perhaps a drill press would do). Once reassembled, I've had fair luck using super glue to lock everything back together. I don't know how long such a repair may last, but I've had no problems so far (a few years).

Epoxy might be a better adhesive, but you'd need the slow setting variety (to give you working time), and apply it during the reassembly process, as it's too thick to penetrate the small insulation gap after assembly.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Geezer wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell