Largest indoor train

What is hailed as one of the largest indoor train sets in the world consumes an entire room of a Tampa family's home. Mark Rosenthal's southern railroad systems hailed as one of the most impressive and advanced indoor lgb layouts in the world. On three levels, eleven locomotives operate simultaneously pulling up to 81 freights and passanger cars on eleven lines.These engines are exact replicas. All of the sounds are digital recordings of the original railroads. The lights and bells and whistles are just what you'd hrear back a hundred years ago. Mark Rosenthal says it's a great way to teach children that no machine has contributed as much to worldwide development as the steam locomotive. Check out the video about this locomotive collection:

">

Reply to
tamparocks29

Brings to mind an old Mad Magazine cartoon showing a row of pizza joints on a street. The first advertises itself as "Best pizza in the city!", the next fancier shop claims it is "Best pizza in the state!!" The next make its claim on a bigger sign claiming to be the "Best pizza in the USA!!!" and the next in big neon proclaims "Best pizza on the planet!!!!". Finally, a little grubby shack at the end of the street has a sign that simply says "Best pizza on this block." Geezer

(snip)

Reply to
Geezer

Back when I was going to college in Kalamazoo, there was a name-brand muffler shop that had the slogan "Nobody Beats Us"...then one a few places down the street made their sign say "We're the nobody that beats them." Thought that was pretty clever :)

Reply to
me

Nooooooo.

Nooooooo.

Typical hairspray substrate (a.k.a. TV "news" "talent") gush. Brought to you by the kind of people who describe cartridge cases left at a crime scene as "bullet shells".

Reply to
Steve Caple

Yawn. I've regularly run trains with that many cars and more. My personal record (not really anywhere near close to a real record) was 5 locos and 253 cars on grade. For a single loco, I've been able to pull 136 cars on a 2 percent grade and that wasn't even one of my better pullers. All this in HO scale. Things get interesting when trains pull over on 36" radius curves! I'll also note that I've built locos that were able to open up Kadee couplers the difficult destructive way of pulling the knuckles out and breaking them off.

Bob May

Well...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

While not a private residence, there is a place in Flemington, NJ called Northland. It is 98% HO. You walk though in a kind of ziz-zag maze through several levels surrounded by 10-30 foot high mountains. For the first

10-15 minutes you are more and more amazed. After half an hour you have had your fill of HO trains for a while and start wondering when you will get to the exit. We strolled through and out in about 45 minutes. They claim to have 10,000 freight cars and

Tour Length 1 Mile Highest Mountain 30 feet(6,000 scale feet) Longest Bridge 40 feet Number of Bridges 300-400 Number of Trains 100+ Feet of Track 50,000(8 miles) Atlas Super-Flex track Buildings 4,000+ Wood Enough wood to build 42 large houses Enough wood to build 42 large houses 52,000 square feet Lichen Trees 500,000+

Wayne

"> src="

Reply to
Wayne L

I think this demonstrates that bigger isn't necessarily better :)

Dale

Reply to
Dale

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com skriver:

Geez, even "My" model railraod is almost bigger... More than 3000 feet of track.

JMJK

only in danish) is running scale 0 and has a 550m2 layout.

MiWuLa Hamburg Germany

meters of track, 700 trains and 10400 cars - and they aren't finished....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Trouble I have with Northlandz is that the scenery is deteriorating. It needs a maintenance cycle or something. I went through the place some years ago and it was OK, even though I prefer my favorite railroad, the DL&W. I took my daughter about 3 years ago and she had a blast because it was all new to her.

Dave Rutan

Reply to
Dave Rutan

fail