Indoor models

My club has some indoor flying sessions over the winter in a local National Guard armory gymnasium. Last winter, I bought a flat foam Yak and all the flight gear from Tower Hobbies but found it was a little too large for the venue (at least for my flying style).

The little HobbyZone (Parkzone?) Cubs, Mustangs and Sukhois were popular last winter. The Cubs appeared to be a relaxing good time while the Mustangs looked like great fun, but I never noticed anyone having any great success with the little Sukhoi.

I recently received shipment of a HobbyZone Champ for the upcoming indoor flying season. I tried it out in the backyard on a calm evening and I have to say I love the little thing! If my yard had less trees, I think I would be out there all the time with this relaxing little bird. I was impressed. I also bought the ultra-micro T-28 Trojan. I hope it's as fun as the Mustangs seemed to be. I don't dare try it out in my yard, but I'll find a place to get accustomed to it before bringing it to the gym.

I have my eye on the Stevens Aero 'LiddleRod' kit... looks interesting.

What are you guys flying indoors over the winter?

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Rubber power, but those HobbyZone things do make me drool.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I was always attracted to them, but being a Futaba user, I didn't want to have to get involved with another type of radio. I especially didn't want to use one of those cheap-looking Spektrum Tx's that came with the HobbyZone Ready-to-fly set-ups... I figured I'd sooner cough up the dough for a Spektrum module for one of my Futabas.

It seems my worries about the little Tx included with the RTF models was unfounded. They work fine, feel OK, and have just enough features to make them good enough to live with: dual rates, electronic trims w/audible cues and servo reversing. The one thing they lack is a charge jack for the use of rechargable batteries. I'm hoping I CAN use rechargables in the Tx as the instruction manual mentions installing "fully charged batteries" into the Tx before use. I'll send an e-mail query to Horizon to make sure...

We have one member that flies rubber power at the indoor get-togethers. I think I'd be interested in fitting one of the tiny radio systems from the HobbyZone birds into a balsa-and-tissue rubber powered airplane....

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Make some blu-core planes. Fun. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

I have a Parkzone night vapor that would be excellent in any indoor location, but I mostly fly it outdoors at night. I have one of the littl Sukhois, but have only tried it a couple of times outside. I really doesn't like wind of any kind so it has not seen any real air time.

The Vapor is great!

Ed

snip...

Reply to