Anyone using a Spektrum module in their Futaba 8U or 9C?

I just ordered one, then heard a tale of woe from a fellow club member at our indoor flying session this weekend. He said his had a very poor fit and had to shimmed out with tape, and he experienced servo jittering that he couldn't fix. He returned the module and it was replaced with another (and another receiver). The new module had the same issues with either receiver.

The Tx continues to function perfectly with the Futaba module in place. He is a very experienced and skilled builder and pilot. All settings were checked and re-checked and the instructions followed carefully.

I did some web searching and couldn't turn up anything similar, so I'm hoping it was an isolated incident. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow so I'll get some first-hand experience soon.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Whoa! Deja Vu! I could have sworn I read another story similar to this. Just don't recall where at the moment. I hope it works out for you. Make sure you test it out thoroughly. Good luck!

Vance

Reply to
Vance

I have had a Spektrum module in my 9C for 2 years. I have had no problems.

Ed Anderson

Reply to
Ed Anderson

I just installed the Spektrum module in my Futaba T8UAF and it works fine. It only took a second or two to bind to the receiver and all functions seem OK with none of the servo jitter that my buddy experienced. I'll try binding my two ParkZone birds (Champ and T-28) and do some more testing. I won't get chance to fly them with the new module for a couple of weeks when we get another indoor session.

As reported, the module was a sloppy fit. I added a single thickness of electrical tape to the the four sides of the module and that made for a "just right" nice and snug fit.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Robert,

Have you gotte in much flying time on that Spektrum module? How is it working?

Ed

Reply to
Ed Anderson

"Ed Anderson" wrote

Hello Ed,

So far, I've only used it at a couple of indoor flying sessions with my ultra-micro Champ and T-28 airplanes and inside at home with my Blade mSR heli. It seems to function perfectly, although the voltage reading on my Futaba 8UAF seems to bounce around a lot with the Spektrum module in use (I've heard that's normal). There are plenty of other guys flying the popular ParkZone/HobbyZone ultra-micros using Spektrum DSM2 at the indoor sessions, so it certainly passes the test in that signal-rich environment.

We just got another dose of snow (and ice) yesterday and last night here in upstate NY. It seems like it's going to be a l-o-n-g time before I get to test the Spektrum module outside at full range (unless I brave the weather and send up a SPAD Dominator over the frozen lake, which I sometimes do in winter).

Good flying, Think Spring, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

If the module is at all loose in fit, run a strip of electrical tape around the module and it should have a nice snug fit.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Anderson

That's exactly what I did, Ed. It worked fine until I decided to take the back off the 8UAFS to eliminate the throttle detents for heli flying. I had a heck of a time getting the module back out! When I reintalled it, I put tape strips on just two of the sides. It's a little bit more removeable now....

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

I have a Spread Spectrum module from Assan in my Futaba 9C, the fit was perfect with zero slop. been using it since they released the newest version after some firmware change (must be at least 2-3 years now). Very happy with performance, zero planes lost due to radio failure and I fly indoor with 20-30 others.

Reply to
TrueRC