Anyone ever check the balance of their spinners?

I maidened a little no-brand Chinese .40-size Ultimate ARF today (exact copy of The World Models Ultimate). I used a new Super Tigre .40 ringed for
power. I was having a hell of a time getting it to run right... it was unresponsive to the needle at times due to what seemed to be fuel foaming. I was getting some nasty vibration with harmonics shaking various parts of the airplane at various RPMS. =:-0
I took off the prop and checked the balance... fine. Then I took off the cowl and checked the engine mounts, the engine mount bolts, etc... fine.
When I got home, I decided the put the spinner on my magnetic prop balancer. It was way out of balance. Even after drilling six 1/8" holes near the rim of the backplate on the heavy side, it still wouldn't come close to balancing.
The spinner was one of the very nice-looking polished aluminum types that I bought from either Maxx Products or Cermark. They are very inexpensive and look great. I took it off and replaced it with a high-quality (and high-priced) model and everything is running smoothly now.
I guess I'll be avoiding the budget spinners in the future....
Good flying, desmobob

Good to know. Might be important to know which brand it was. mk

I only use those "spinner nuts" from Dubro. Checked some of them wa
back and found that they were pretty well balanced. Haven't checke one since, but now, I think I will check again. There is som vibration in some of my set-ups, and it may be the spinner nut ....
Thanks for the "heads-up" !
-- indoruwe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u891 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tP319

I like the spinner nuts and use them whenever I'm able. But lot of models need a spinner, and I don't like the plastic ones. The aluminum ones are pricey, so I thought I'd save a few bucks with the cheap ones. False economy, I guess. I have a few more of these cheap spinners on other airplanes and I'll be checking them for balance before I fly again.
mk: I can't remember the brand, but I'm pretty sure I bought the spinner from either Maxx Products or Cermark. That would make it a "ProSpin" or "Spin Right" brand. I'll look later to see if there are any brand markings on it.
Good flying, desmobob

markings
These are the ones with the plastic cone against a metal backing plate? In Australia, TY1 seems to be quite common, and decent quality as some Taiwanese products seem to be - or so I though since I haven't thought to check the balance on them - however there seems to be a number of Taiwanese/Chinese products appearing, including World Models. It'd be good to know the better/worse manufacturers.

No... these are very nice-looking all aluminum units with a polished finish.
Good flying, desmobob

TY-1 seems to be well built. I have one but yet to use it but all the members of our club who use them say they are great.
I currently have an all plastic spinner that came with my Seagull Boomerang 40 trainer. After 150hours of use on a 40LA plus some use on an underprop'd 46AX it's still in one piece.
I also have a Magnum alloy spinner. Very nice unit, just wish it came with adapters to suit it's use on smaller engines.....the plane requires a large spinner to suit the cowl but the engine is only a 46AX. Magnum make the larger spinners with prop shaft holes aimed at larger engines. Yes, there are spacers available but I would have preferred them to be included with the spinner.
The main failings in spinners I see relate more to how some people: abuse them (ramming the starter onto them!), modifying them badly to fit the prop, or fitting them loosely.
--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3
desmobob wrote:

You should be able to balance them by epoxying weights on the inside, or thinning the inside walls. It may be false economy, though, given the amount of time you'd have to spend.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I just took a look but couldn't find any markings. I took a spinner of the same type off another model and checked it... same thing! So far off balance that I couldn't make it right by grinding with the Dremel or drilling the backplate. It seems more likely that the holes are drilled off-center. In the trash with that one, too!
Just to be sure I wasn't imagining things, I took a Dave Brown spinner off another model and checked it... VERY close. I was able to get it just about perfect by moving the backplate. When I got a good result, I indexed the cone and backplate so it will be installed correctly.
So... those two spinners that I "saved" about $5 apiece on ended up in the trash. :-(
Good flying, desmobob

Ot maybe the fact you are depending on a ~prop~ balancer to check a spinner has something to do with it?
Did you check just the backplate or the whole thing with the cone on it? If the latter, how_ever_ did you mount it to the prop balancer?
m-m --

I have a Top Flite magnetic balancer that uses a shaft with two "centering tapers" (cone-shaped pieces that slide along the shaft) suspended between two magnets. http://www.top-flite.com/accys/topq5700.html
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/reviews/bgodwin/magneticpropbalancer/IMG_1165.jpg
I mounted the spinner (cone and backplate) with the shaft through it and centered by the tapers; one into the nose of the spinner cone and the other through the backplate hole. I believe this is an accurate way to mount it to the shaft and measure the balance. Correct me if I'm wrong....
Good flying, desmobob

It just seems that the balancer which is intended for props and a larger error is simply not accurate enough to balance a spinner. Besides any error on a spinner would seem insignificant being it is so close to the center.
But mainly the fact that you drilled all those holes and did not effect a change indicates your measurement method is faulty.
m-m

This is the most accurate type of balancer. It is designed to be almost totally free of friction (the part being balanced is for the most part, suspended in air) and providing the balancer's shaft and centering cones are first balanced (they were), has negligible error.

This is obviously not the case as the spinner that started this whole spinner-balancing thing was causing excessive vibration in the model it was mounted on. Replacing that spinner solved the problem.

That's your assumption. I mentioned the drilling to show just how out of balance the original spinner was; I tossed it in the trash when it didn't balance after removing a considerable amount of material from the heavy side. (That's why I suggested that the holes may have been drilled off center.) The Great Planes spinner I checked balanced after drilling several small holes in the backplate on the heavy side.
If my methods are faulty, it's peculiar that my higher quality spinners are all very close to being balanced while the cheap spinners are grossly off balance.
Believe what you will.
Good flying, desmobob

SNIP .
And *I* suspect you would have gotten a much warmer reception had you used the term "suggests" rather than indicates. I have also run into spinners as badly out of balance and taken similar steps to bring them in reasonable tolerance. Ever hear of a High Point balancer? Why don't you find out who uses them and what they get used for...

ok,ok.
m-m
Yes

Try these - Expensive but absolutely perfect!

Did you forget the link, Ed? I'm wondering what spinners are absolutely perfect... seems they may be worth the expense.
Good flying, desmobob
You're right. I forgot the link :) Check out the True Turn Stuff here: http://www.tru-turn.net/ I have three and they are works of art

OK Ed, I'll try one. I just put a standard 2 1/2" model and adapter in my Tower shopping cart.
Good flying, desmobob