Repairing Oertling TP 40 laboratory balance

Hi,

I recently acquired a faulty Oertling TP 40 laboratory balance that was being thrown out by my university. It's an 800g capacity mechanical balance which reads down to 0.01g. The problem is that the glass scale (an image of the scale is magnified by a system of lenses and mirrors and projected onto a screen) has come loose and is now misaligned. I'd like to fix the balance, partly for fun and partly because it would be useful to me. I presume that the glass scale needs to be carefully adjusted, then glued in position and the balance calibrated. Does anyone have experience of this type of balance and know what is involved in calibration? Calibration doesn't need to be highly accurate; if it was accurate to 0.1g that would be fine. Or perhaps someone knows where I could obtain a service manual? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

replying to Christopher Tidy, Simon Elton wrote: Yes it takes patients. Have recently repaired a TP20 ortling. You need to get the graticule to line up on the screen around the halfway point. Then move action from zero to full scale. Tapping with a pen or pencil, to set so numbers and fringes run true. Then apply retaining compound to fix in place. Use adjustable weights on thread rod to set zero. You can add weights under pan table to get within range of adjustment. I have plenty of the 6 volt lamps for the light source too

Reply to
Simon Elton

replying to Simon Elton, Rob Galbraith wrote: Hi Simon, I have recently been given a Oertling TP30 for calibration, However I am finding Difficulty in making a zero adjustment and the readings are quite bad aswell, I have tried adjusting the vertical and horizontal Counter weights but to no effect, I would be most welcome if you could give me any information that may help us to calibrate this item. With Thanks

Reply to
Rob Galbraith