Politics in the hobby shop

This morning I got a call from the LHS to ask if I would look at and price some used tools for another of his customers. I have no problem
with that, he's not a machinist, I am. As usual, I couldn't leave until I had a good bull session with the owner, and that proved to be one huge mistake today.
Another customer came in, bought absolutely nothing, and launched into a ten minute attack on anyone what wasn't far right from the radical right. Thinking it might close him up, I mentioned that I was a democrat, and in return was called everything, including brainless nazi, communist, and traitor.
Not content with name calling, he went to his car and brought in some literature, that he had received as email, as proof of his "facts." I may be less than conservative, but even the most ignorant of the wildest liberals knows that email articles are not even worth the paper it took him to print them. FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: then the subject line is the surest way you can find to sort fantasy from fact. If it's been forwarded, you won't find any fact.
Bringing politics and insults with name calling to someone you don't know, and I've never seen this man like creature before, only shows that your level of intelligence can be discounted to zero.
Don't be guilty of being a total ass. Leave the political crap where it belongs, in your own home, when you're alone. Spouting political crap in the hobby shop doesn't make you right, won't make you perceptive to the world around you, but will only prove that you choose be abyssmally stupid.
I've managed to stay with railroading for more than thirty years by staying away from most other railroaders, but once decided I wanted to try flying sailplanes, which is an enclave of rich old conservatives. I no longer fly, I sold my plane, but I'm not listening to their loud and often profane mouths. What money I once spent at the gliderport I now spend at the LHS. Political idiots with big mouths can drive people out of the hobby.
Rich.
Amen!
--
+GF+

"I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make
Of course, your political diatribe is as unwelcome here in this group as was the diatribe to which you objected at your LHS.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:19:53 -0800, "Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote:

Hmmm. What I was asking is that people leave their pokitics at home when they go out among people that may not, and probably do not agree with them. I don't spew my politics in public places, and in a loud and abusive nature, my voice is much louder in a voiting booth. When someone is ignorant enough not to know that he's offending another customer, or arrogant enough not to care, he has no business in that store.
I'm not a communist, nazi or fascist, and no neanderthal (sub-nenaderthal) has any right to insult me or anyone else in a pulblic place. As one of the men I used to work with said, "Your rights end at the point of my nose." If you need a translation, I'll be happy to furnish it.
Rich

It's too darn bad that some of the people in this group didn't follow your advice. This used to be the most active MR'ing group/site on the 'net, and now it's a mere shadow of it's old self. This was due to the political hyenas taking over in the late 1990's & early 2000's and driving out the posters who actually knew what they were talking about: Jim Six, John Sheridan, Curt Mc, Andy Sperando, Stan Ames, Andy Harmon, et al. All went to e-mail lists and web forums to get away from these political losers who just can't resist sticking their oar in where it doesn't belong. Sigh.
Paul A. Cutler III Deputy Sheriff, r.m.r ************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************

Not restricted to this group, the metalworking group, by the time I filtered the worst offending topics, then keep having to go back and killfile certain people, more than half of the postings go straight to the trash. I'm not liberal or conservative, pretty much middle of the road, I just hoped that maybe I could spare someone else the verbal abuse I took from that dictator wannabe, if people would think before opening their mouths.
Guess not.
I don't care which side it comes from, if you even suspect it's going to offend someone in a public place, it doesn't have to be said.
But it probably will be anyhow.
Rich
"Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote in message

was
Um, it wasn't his diatribe, it was the aforementioned knucklehead in the hobby shop. I mean, I hate having people bring politics into r.m.r, but even I have to say that Richard's post was on topic...he didn't actually talk politics as he was talking about rude people who are apparently insane (and getting out "paperwork" from one's car to continue an arguement in a hobby shop to a total stranger is certifiable).
"Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote in message

I don't see Richard's original post about politics in the hobby shop to be a "diatribe," just an observation with comments. He sure wasn't preaching any political view in his message.
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 07:29:02 GMT, Mark Mathu wrote:

Doesn't matter. For the tinfoil hat brigade, if you're not with them you're against them and are put to destroy every good thing that God and America have made in this heaven on earth. Just ask Shrub or Cheney or Jean Schmitt. But don't ask them to show you their service records.
--
Steve

Shut the crap up , all of you . Grow up and play with your trains . Mike M
--
mikanmart
On 11/21/05 2:50 AM, in article 1pmrswr07vyn.162p4bihjn323$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net,

Tinfoil hats are worn on both ends of the political spectrum. IMHO, James Carville is as bad as any of the people on the far right, maybe worse. At least they have the decency to not shout down those with whom they are debating, unlike Mr. Carville.
--
Thanks!

Brian Ehni
Well our far-right friend,O'Rielly is pretty good at shouting down those that disagree with him
James Carville is as bad as any of the people on the far right, maybe worse. At

On 11/21/05 7:56 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Gene"

I've not observed him, but will take your word on it.
--
Thanks!

Brian Ehni
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:05:43 -0600, Brian Paul Ehni wrote:

I don't watch either of them. Shields and Brooks on The News Hour with Jim Lehrer is one of the few lib-con discussions that IS a discussion, is civil, and is not a shouting match aimed at a National Enquirer mentality. Granted, Brooks might not represent the far right well, but then Shields is pretty centrist for a liberal (me, I'm of the Wellstone persuasion).
With Fox Spews you're more likely to get the likes of Tom DeLay or Ted Stevens, and Zell Miller as the tokens. Or maybe Norm Mineta as the token "Democrat".
--
Steve

"Waist deep in the Big Muddy and the big fool says to push on."
On 11/21/05 9:28 AM, in article wyvkkyl1gk3q.7at6zmie4res$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net,

I'll try and catch that!
--
Thanks!

Brian Ehni
I've only caught these various liberal and conservative shows on the various channels a few times....but this O'Rielly guy took the cake in the bullying,browbeating ,shouting-down the opposition IMHO. cheers Gene

There are jerks at both ends of the spectrum as well as a generous scattering of them though the intervening space. Carville and O'Rielly are both good examples of that. They should both have their tails tied together and be hung over the clothesline to fight it out like a pair of tomcats. People need to learn the difference between supporting an agenda and being a cheerleader.
Froggy,
On 11/21/05 11:48 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news.east.earthlink.net,

I'd pay to watch it!
--
Thanks!

Brian Ehni
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:48:16 GMT, Froggy wrote:

Hey, don't leave out Savage and Liddy and Hannity and . . .
--
Steve

On 11/21/05 5:40 PM, in article 10g321qyre8x4.1427iclq1xddp$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net,

And Franken, and Soros, and Streisand and...
Do we really need to keep this going?
--
Brian Ehni